VMware Horizon Community
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

AppStacks not attaching to Instant Clones?

Anyone else have this issue?  I can't seem to attach stacks in a 2.10.0 environment to my test pool of H7 instant clones.  The same image I've always used, just replaced the agent option to use composer with instant clone tech.  I opened a SR for it, but have yet to be able to sync up with the SE.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Could you check if you are able to assign an AppStack to the Instant clone desktop please (computer assignment instead of users).

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No change.

System Messages log has these messages related to trying to attach stacks:

Failed to reconfigure VM "cp-parent-db697967-d78b-4954-a2fc-fb5ddb3dd88f" (502b5222-1ba7-93b7-6405-846ba3884cd6):

Fault: Unspecified (InvalidState)

I suspect that App Volumes is not looking at the instant clone, but rather the parent of the instant clone to attach stacks to.  Given the nature of the parent, however, it's simply not possible.  Even though it's new, I haven't read anyone else having any issues, and it's hard for me to believe that this wouldn't have been tested by VMware prior to release as both Instant Clone and App Volumes are the highly-touted next-gen combination of technologies in the VDI space.  If it's not just me and this is truly how these two operate today then 2.10.1 or 2.11.0 had better come soon...

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Sorry, I have just checked that AppVolumes 2.10 (released in Nov 2015) does not support Instant Clones (Horizon 7 released in March 2016) and the 3.0 version has got the support.

0 Kudos
edittech
Contributor
Contributor

What a bummer! App Volumes 3.0 is not ready yet, still in beta. I guess will have to wait.

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't find the link at the moment but I saw App Volumes 2.11 is supposed to support instant clones.

0 Kudos
Stef402
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a fixed ? I have the exact same error and can't figure out what is going on.

I found a volume can attached to my parent template VM if I power it on but not on the instant clone using user or computer assignment.

Horizon View 7.0.1 build-3988955

AppVolume 2.11.0.122

ESXi 6.0.0 Update 3620759

Windows 7 SP1

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Stef402‌ I'm also having the exact same issue as you (my build numbers are all similar to yours).

Linked Clones attach fine on login, but not Instant Clones do not.

Did you get a fix?

0 Kudos
Stef402
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet. I'm working with VMware support to fix that. I let you know what we will find.

0 Kudos
wenlaoshi
Contributor
Contributor

The release notes for 2.11 say:

What's New in Release 2.11?

Support for VMware Horizon View versions 7 and 7.0.1:

You can now deliver AppStacks and Writable Volumes to Instant Clones and Linked Clones hosted on VMware Horizon View 7.0 and VMware Horizon View 7.0.1 machines.

You find it at VMware App Volumes 2.11 Release Notes

0 Kudos
Jackeeeyyy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same error, did you mange to resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you see a volume attached to the template VM thats a problem. You need to restrict your assignments to the prefix used in the horizon pool, so the appstacks don't get attached the the template. They have an AD name that starts with it and then a bunch of numbers.

0 Kudos
Jackeeeyyy
Contributor
Contributor

Is this the problem you're referring to?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Jackeeeyyy
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact problem, how do I go about fixing it?

0 Kudos