VMware Horizon Community
Piear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppStack - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Has anyone successfully AppStack Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Every time I launched the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC within the AppStack, it will attempt to install itself. (see attached pic)

No custom parameters was used during the install for the Appstack.

Adobe_Reader.PNG

Mucho thanks in advance for the feedback.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Piear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow ... Well after researching I was able to get it to work by:

1. Deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AcroRD32.exe reg key.

Remember best practice: Before deleting export and save the key.

Here is additional info about the Image File Execution Options reg key: A Virus Infection: Contolling the Outbreak (tip) - Mfartura's blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs And https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/a329t4ed(v=vs.100).aspx

According to the blog from technet, ""Image File Execution Options" underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion which is normally used for debugging purposes."

Since I deleted the AcroRD32.exe key, I was able to launched the app successfully in the Appstack.

I will be testing this config in our DEV environment and will provide an update prior going into production .

Next step is to delete and manage the key through UEM for all users.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Makes sense to me and we have not seen this yet. I will make sure this is added to the test bed so we can take a look at the fix you found. Nice job on the research BTW.

0 Kudos
virtualkim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Acrobat DC installed properly on first try over here. I used the MUI version, did you use the same one?

AcroRdrDC1500720033_MUI.exe

Client OS: Win 7 32 bit enterprise.

0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We ran into a similar issue when trying to package Adobe Reader XI, our work around which has worked on a few other apps that we saw the same type of error was as follows.

1) Install the app as normal

2) Delete the desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut

3) Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader or C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader (depending on OS Version)

4) Right click on AcroRD32.exe and select Desktop shortcut from the send to menu

5) Rename the shortcut so it looks like the original and copy it here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

So far we have only had to do this process on a handful of apps hopefully this helps

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip Boe! I was having an issue with Adobe Reader X and XI, like you, it was similar to this. Whenever I launched Adobe Reader, from the desktop or start menu, Windows installer would come up and reinstall the application. When I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader.....and launched the .exe ,it came up fine, as you suggested I created new shortcuts and everything is working! Just out of curiosity, have you ever followed up with VMware support as to why this is happening? Also, what other apps have you experienced this with?

Nice find on the fix!

0 Kudos