VMware Horizon Community
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AppStack AND Writeable Volume?

Hey,

I've a scenario where I'd like to use one or more AppVolumes for delivery of departmental apps, but also would like to enable some users to install their own apps.

I've mapped the AppVolumes to some specific VMs and a Writeable Volume to the user. When the user tries to login, I get the following error message (within the App Volumes Management Console): "Skipping volumes for User <>" because Computer <> already has volumes" and the user does not see the user installed apps. Is that a limitation of the product or an I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have a machine based assignment you can not also have a user based assignment. My guess is you have assigned the Appstack to the machine. Assign the appstack to the user and this should work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have a machine based assignment you can not also have a user based assignment. My guess is you have assigned the Appstack to the machine. Assign the appstack to the user and this should work.

0 Kudos
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's the answer to my question. Can you please elaborate on the technical reasons? I'd like to understand what's going on there.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is an artificial limitation. It is there in case a Writable Volume is also used. Writable volumes must always be attached first and before a login (essentially a machine attach). This can cause issues if doing real time attach with Appstacks as well.

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I use only AppStacks entitled by users, users get their apps.

If I add a writable volume, users get only the writable volume.

I can never assigno both at the same time... what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Logs indicate:

Attempt to attached 2 appstacks for User <domain\user1> but only 0 more are allowed because 1 are already attached. Skipping attachment of the extraneous appstacks.

Attempt to attached 2 appstacks for User <domain\user1> but only 1 are allowed. Skipping attachment of the extraneous appstacks.

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Based on the logs this is likely only allowing one or the other type of attachment because of an Evaluation license.  Evaluation licenses only allow one attachment.

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is definetely the case... sorry for missing that, but i have to admit it's not easy to evaluate a product if you have missing features.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is being changed and an updated version will be posed soon allowing for testing with and Appstack AND a writable. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos