VMware Horizon Community
MattSyme
Contributor
Contributor

AppCapture convert VMDK to VHD

Hi,

Been trying out the new AppCapture utility provided in App Volumes 2103 but I am having trouble converting vmdk files exported from App Volumes 2012 to VHD format, I get the following output

ERROR: not a valid vmdk file at: C:\packages_files\OfficeE3-flat.vmdk

I was able to convert files that the AppCapture utility created, just not sure if that conversion will work for any vmdk app package?

Also, while I do plan to update our app volumes manager to 2103 later next week, does anyone know if apps packaged with AppCapture will work with app volumes 2012? I don't seem to be able to get the files to appear in app volumes manager but unsure if that's just down to our app volumes manager still being on 2012 or I am making a mistake somewhere..

Labels (5)
3 Replies
Blakerdog
Contributor
Contributor

Hey MattSyme,

I'm attempting the same conversion as well.  I received the same error with my App Volume VMDKs pulled directly from the DataStore.  I think it's due to the fact that the App Capture tool is designed to work only with Monolithic Sparse VMDKs.  I'm about to attempt a dual conversion as such:

1: Convert App Volumes VMDK (and associated -flat vmdk) to a Monolithic Sparse VMDK using the VDiskManager.exe tool included with VMware Workstation and VMware Player (Command: vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r sourceLocation.vmdk -t 0 targetDestination.vmdk)

2: Convert the resulting VMDK file to VHD with the AppCapture Powershell tools (ConvertTo-AVVhdDisk)

Not yet sure if this will work, but I'll be glad to post results.

0 Kudos
mkadouraCITCO
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, doesn't work.

I have been following and troubleshooting the same steps but when trying to convert from .vmdk to .vhd I am getting the below error:

ERROR: no metadata available in this vmdk disk

ERROR: failed to extract metadata from vmdk while building vhd. Error: 0x0

ERROR: vhd creation failed

not sure how to include the .metadata to the .vmdk file.

0 Kudos
smut5203
Contributor
Contributor

did any body convert appvolumes2.18 vmdk files to VHD files ?  Fling tool from vmware only works on Windows 10 not on Windows Server 2016.

0 Kudos