VMware Horizon Community
Bart_Verbruggen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App volumes manager service not starting

Hi,

I installed a windows 2008R2 server with the Application server role + .NET 3.5.1 enabled.

Launched the App Volumes manager setup.

Selected a SQLExpress install because I just want to test the App Volumes.

Setup finished and rebooted the server.

The App Volumes manager service doesn't start. It returns: error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Nothing to see in the log C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Manager\log\production.log

Anyone an idea what I'm missing?

Thx,

Bart

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Bart
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If a machine running the Manager doesn’t have internet access, it’s very possible that CVManager will fail to start (timeout).  Because the service is a signed .NET service, Windows by default will try to validate SSL cert during startup.  Without internet access, this check will eventually time-out and the service will start after 60 seconds or so... but since the default service manager timeout is 30seconds, it's set for failure.  To work around, create a CVManager.exe.config file (in same directory as CVManager.exe) and add the following text:

<configuration>

<runtime>

<generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" />

</runtime>

</configuration>

This tells to .NET runtime to not do any cert checks on signed EXEs… as result the service starts up almost instantly.

The following MS blog post has more details:

blogs.msdn.com/...e-property.aspx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If a machine running the Manager doesn’t have internet access, it’s very possible that CVManager will fail to start (timeout).  Because the service is a signed .NET service, Windows by default will try to validate SSL cert during startup.  Without internet access, this check will eventually time-out and the service will start after 60 seconds or so... but since the default service manager timeout is 30seconds, it's set for failure.  To work around, create a CVManager.exe.config file (in same directory as CVManager.exe) and add the following text:

<configuration>

<runtime>

<generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" />

</runtime>

</configuration>

This tells to .NET runtime to not do any cert checks on signed EXEs… as result the service starts up almost instantly.

The following MS blog post has more details:

blogs.msdn.com/...e-property.aspx

0 Kudos
bollipa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! we had the same problem because our Manager Server has no access to Internet without using web proxy. This solved it!

0 Kudos
NVA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can try to use the following command line to import IE proxy settings to Windows : netsh winhttp import proxy source=IE

It solved this issue for me !

0 Kudos
EChampagne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I god the same error, in my case, it was because Framwork .NET 3.5 was't installed on my Windows 2012 R2 server.

Regards,

0 Kudos