VMware Horizon Community
Maarten_Caus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App volumes 2.12 CutePDF installed in golden Image and appstack connected = PDF printer, fax and xps printer disconnect?

Hi,

I did a clean install of App volumes 2.12 and recreated all my appstacks. I installed CutePDF in my base image Windows 8.1 pro and than everything works fine.

When I attach any appstack the PDF printer, XPS printer and the Fax are disconnected.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Maarten

Tags (1)
70 Replies
BrianF1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was given the same fix and after replacing the files in the golden image, re-compose the pool and the pdf printer in the app-stack re-attached. (non-writable)

I also applied the config changes to the app-stack before capturing the pdf printer (acrobat pro XI).

Waiting for a response if/when it will be released into the product.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We have also tested the patch and at first thought it didn't work.

The thing is that you need to remove all writables that you created and logged in with with the non patches version as the exclusions are inthere.

Also recreate Appstacks that you created while your packaging machine didn't have the patches applied.

After changing these settings and adding the patch onto the golden image everything works fine.

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does anybody have a resolution to this, without having to re-create all of the users' Writables?  That is not an option for us and we are having the same issue.  Thanks in advance!

Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Adding myself to this question as well..  Over 2 months and still no good resolution (real patch, not workarounds).

Also curious how this still has not been documented in the release notes as a known issue here: VMware App Volumes 2.12 Release Notes

0 Kudos
EricRoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

me too i'm adding my self to this because i'm experiencing problem for mapping network printer. I have a case open with VMware but i don't have something good as a solution. I have HP, Ricoh and Lexmark printer and only the HP and Ricoh are mapping when i have an appstack attach. If i dont have an appstack, HP, Ricoh and Lexmark are mapping.

They ask me to create an appstack with the Lexmark printer drivers and that solution works only 1 out 3 tries.

i had the same problem for the local printer that they were disconnected and it was fix with the exclusion of registry.

Any ideas for my Lexmark printer problem?

Eric

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Eric,

I'd suggest looking through the other topics. The problem with printers not being mappen when logging in is due to the print spooler being restarted after the lastest appstack is attached. When you are installing the drivers and the spooler is restarted it won't install the printer and slow down login.

We created a powershell script for installing the printers and they added an event in application log that states when appvolumes is done processing.So just make sure to wait for that event (you can check eventviewer using Powershell) and then start creating printers.

The event is EventID 225 an states that "All Volumes finished processing", the service is svservice. Adding print drivers in an appstack is useless.

0 Kudos
EricRoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

did you open a case with Vmware regarding this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Nope. You could give it a shot though Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
EricRoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

its already done.

if they found something, i will let you know. They already gave me files to change in the app volumes agent.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Raaaight.. The files they send you is to fix a bug in the 2.12.0.70 version that is out now.

What happens there is that all local printers are removed the moment all appstacks are attached and the print spooler is restarted.

If you have 2 network printers attached and 1 not being attached and they provide you with the patch (and the corresponding 3 files) my guess is they don't really now what the issue is.

If you check event logs and print installation logs. Are you able to find a timepath in which both the spooler is being restarted and the printer is being installed?

Just for testing purposes, if you have a batch of PS script to install the printers, try to create a pause of about 60 seconds before installing and check to see if printers are installed each time.

And my suggestion is not to install printers using policies when using Appvolumes.

TomMoran24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a support request in now also. Hopefully I can get these patches installed.

0 Kudos
EricRoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

they ask me to send the App Volumes agent logs, the View agent logs and the Sysinternals process Monitor logs.

Im waiting for the result of that.

t

0 Kudos
fmarotta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running Horizon 7.0.3, AppVol 2.12 & Windows 7 X64 desktops.  I am running into the same issue only with PDF Fill as my PDF writer.  I removed all appstacks from my profile leaving only a writable volume for user profile appdata being mounted.

I tried adding the following reg settings to my writable volume snapvol.cfg but still face the problem.

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

This is holding me up from deploying these desktops into production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
fmarotta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok so here is the workaround I am using:

mounted the writable volume template and modified the snapvol.cfg to include the following entries:

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers

Once I did this my PDFill Printer (as well as others) reappeared

0 Kudos
EricRoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

what about the network printers?

thanks

0 Kudos
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi FFNVMWARE,

Thank you very much for the solution!

But for me it did not work until I added that Key to the Base Image -

HKEY Local Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\svservice\parameters

VolDelayLoadTime =0

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21374...

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
SchwarzC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The VMware technicians I worked with gave me the Version 2.12.0.1 - which has the fix hard coded, it works without the workaround in our environment now.

They told me last week that is going GA last week - don`t know what happen to this.

0 Kudos
snok87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We upgrade AppVolumes Agent to 2.12.1 yesterday. Works like a charm!

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good to hear that 2.12.1 has fixed this issue.

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi everyone!

I'm having the same issue that everyone here is having. I attach an appstack, some printers go away, detach, they come back, etc. I'm on version 2.12 App Volume Manager, and want to upgrade to 2.13.1 asap, especially if it'll fix the printer issue for me. One quick question, for the people who upgraded and this fixed their issue. Did you have to do anything else besides, upgrade App Volume Manager and the App volume client? Did you have to touch App Stacks that were currently built or anything?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos