VMware Horizon Community
hamidja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App volume writable volumes question?

Hi

Does app volume saves all users data (downloads,copied files,....) in any folders of RDSH pool and user profile?

Does app volume migrate  profile and files of a user that before assigning writable volume logged on locally ?

Does writable volumes works good for profile?

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey.

Also a small note here. Writables only work with VDI, not with RDSH so you can skipp that part. What it does is it attached a disk that is read/write and all changes ae being saved to this disk. The Appvolumes filter driver then merges it with the machine as if you are using a local machine. Writable is always attached to either a user or a machine. You can however exclude very specific information from what appvolumes should store on the writable.

Does app volume saves all users data (downloads,copied files,....) in any folders of RDSH pool and user profile?
If you do not redirect that information yes it will. I will always suggest to redirect Downloads, Pictures and Documents, do NOT let than land in a writable.

Does app volume migrate  profile and files of a user that before assigning writable volume logged on locally ?
No it will not. The first time a user attaches a writable to his or her VDI when logging in that's the moment it starts to build up the writable. If you disable the writable the user can log into a complete fresh machine.

Depends on what you try to achieve. If you are only worried about specific parts of the profile I'd suggest going with DEM. If you need everything (and i really mean everything) than writables could be an option for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey.

Also a small note here. Writables only work with VDI, not with RDSH so you can skipp that part. What it does is it attached a disk that is read/write and all changes ae being saved to this disk. The Appvolumes filter driver then merges it with the machine as if you are using a local machine. Writable is always attached to either a user or a machine. You can however exclude very specific information from what appvolumes should store on the writable.

If you do not redirect that information yes it will. I will always suggest to redirect Downloads, Pictures and Documents, do NOT let than land in a writable.

No it will not. The first time a user attaches a writable to his or her VDI when logging in that's the moment it starts to build up the writable. If you disable the writable the user can log into a complete fresh machine.

Depends on what you try to achieve. If you are only worried about specific parts of the profile I'd suggest going with DEM. If you need everything (and i really mean everything) than writables could be an option for you.

hamidja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ray

tank you for spending time to answer my question. I need a solution that close even a bit of data likage between client and desktop and a folder given to user for keeping his data inside my infrastructure?

can you help me with some policies to close all usb,local drog and drop or any kind of data transfer,printer redirection or copy /paste  between client and desktop but keep his data that save on his desktop or give him a share space?

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

hey Hamidja,

I don\t mind giving any pointers but this question is more about how to design the security for your VDI environment, to be honest it would be to hard to add all these settings here. Just try and have a look at either Windows GPO's to block these functionalities or try to use DEM with Smart Policies. DEM is a very nice tool to create these settings.

0 Kudos