VMware Horizon Community
WLesler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes v2.10 HA/DR

Does anyone know what the best practice is to make App Volumes v2.10 Managers and Appstacks redundant across multiple datacenters?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Use multiple Appvolumes servers that point to 1 SQL server, loadbalance them using your prefered method (Either NLB or F5 or anything you would like to use).

If you use a loadbalancer kind of thing you can easily shut down any Appvolumes manager as long as 1 server is still active. All information is stored in the database and all managers connect to it.

Looking at the Appstacks, i would suggest adding multiple datatores in VCenter and create a StorageGroup in Appvolumes. It will automatically sync all Appstacks from one store to the other if in the same Storagegroup and trhe Storagegroup is used for assigning Appstacks.

0 Kudos
WLesler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed another App Volumes Manager, I was able to browse to the existing SQL Server and choose the App Volumes DB. I verified that the ODBC connection can connect to the DB also, but when I launch the url to the new Manager I get a Startup Failure, Unable to start App Volumes Manager.

App Volumes Error.PNG

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What account do you start the service with? If it's a local system account you need to assign permission to the SQL database for this machine.

Create an account in SQL that is related to the machine (you can google it but mostly it's created like COPUTERNAME$ (Off course Computernname replaced with the name of the computer).

0 Kudos