VMware Horizon Community
pieterheijms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes package station (best practices)

Hi,

We are looking for best practice guides, how to create an App Volume:

- What machine to use for creating App Volumes, clean machine, with or without office?

- Do you need to start the application during capturing (such as by ThinApp).

- We are going to use NVIDIA GPU in our environment, do we need to create the App Volumes on a machine with the NVIDIA GPU?

- Sometimes during installation hardware needs to be connected, for finalizing the driver, how can we do that.

So we have a lot of questions, I hope someone has a best practice document.

Thanks,

Pieter

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey, here are some pointers.

- What machine to use for creating App Volumes, clean machine, with or without office?

I'd suggest creating a clone of you Golden Image, this way the machine is almost the same as the machine users are getting. Add it to the domain (off course change the name if the GI is also domain member), and log in with a local admin. Also make sure to place the machine account in an OU that has no policies whatsoever. Otherwise you might endup with poliies in your appstack.

It highly depends on the application. Looking at THinApp or Appv you can also capture first time run keys that are stored in HKCU or C:\Users. An appstack does not record these settings and thus there is no need to start the application for those settings. If you need to add a reg you you obviously need to start the application. My rule of thumb would be NOT to start the application.

- We are going to use NVIDIA GPU in our environment, do we need to create the App Volumes on a machine with the NVIDIA GPU?

Nope, you don't. The appstack does not depend on the existence of the vGPU.

- Sometimes during installation hardware needs to be connected, for finalizing the driver, how can we do that.

I'd say you can't. You would need to install the drivers either in the GI of as an MSI during packaging. It also depends which drivers you are installing. If you look at print drivers for example. Appvolumes has a build in feature to restart the spooler after it attaches all appstacks. This is due to the fact that an appstack could hold a print driver (looking at you Adobe Pro) and it needs to be attached afterwards. If it is some sort of a kernel driver or maybe even a smartcard driver that you need to log in it can't be loaded after startup of the machine. Keep in mind that the appstack is attached during login (or you must assign it to a machine). I would suggest installing those drivers into the GI.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey, here are some pointers.

I'd suggest creating a clone of you Golden Image, this way the machine is almost the same as the machine users are getting. Add it to the domain (off course change the name if the GI is also domain member), and log in with a local admin. Also make sure to place the machine account in an OU that has no policies whatsoever. Otherwise you might endup with poliies in your appstack.

It highly depends on the application. Looking at THinApp or Appv you can also capture first time run keys that are stored in HKCU or C:\Users. An appstack does not record these settings and thus there is no need to start the application for those settings. If you need to add a reg you you obviously need to start the application. My rule of thumb would be NOT to start the application.

Nope, you don't. The appstack does not depend on the existence of the vGPU.

I'd say you can't. You would need to install the drivers either in the GI of as an MSI during packaging. It also depends which drivers you are installing. If you look at print drivers for example. Appvolumes has a build in feature to restart the spooler after it attaches all appstacks. This is due to the fact that an appstack could hold a print driver (looking at you Adobe Pro) and it needs to be attached afterwards. If it is some sort of a kernel driver or maybe even a smartcard driver that you need to log in it can't be loaded after startup of the machine. Keep in mind that the appstack is attached during login (or you must assign it to a machine). I would suggest installing those drivers into the GI.