VMware Horizon Community
adamsken
Contributor
Contributor

App Volumes limit

I am just starting to work with App Volumes and I thought I read there was a limit to the number of App Volumes you can assign to a vdi.

My thought was to create an App Volume for each of my apps to better manage the applications but that would mean a lot of App Volumes.

If I put a lot of applications in one App Volume than I defeating the purpose of app separation.

Any thoughts from those who have figured it all out?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We tried to find the highest commonality between users and applications to keep the number of AppStacks low... it didn't work out so well as there was rarely a 100% match and the "extra" applications I would have put in couldn't be given to certain users. So I basically ended up with a lot of individual AppStacks and just a few with more than 2 applications in them. I think the recommendation was keep it less than 15 assigned to any one machine with 20 being the max. We have had a max of 12 to one user without a problem. The good news is that in AppVolumes 3.0 you are going to be able to provision individual applications out of a stack to a user. So you can have 10 applications in an AppStack and decide which ones each user gets, that is supposed to be out next quarter I believe.

0 Kudos
sachindsharma
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have AppToggle feature coming out in 3.0 so that might help with assigning individual apps to users from one AppStack. VMware Announces App Volumes 3.0: Simplifying Application Lifecycle Management for Todays Digital Wo...

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Technically it ends up to the amount of SCSI disks you can add to a VM machine. When firsts started the max amount of appstacks was in the region of 50.

The problem with this is that logon times will be slowed down hugely.

Attaching the disks is a matter of seconds now (used to be an issue) but when attaching the appstack there are some batch files that need to be processed and the mountpoints that need to merged. My feeling is that it takes up to 1 to 1,5 second per appstack to execute these commands during logon.

We are also eagerly awaiting Appcloaking/Apptoggle and would like to test the new feature asap Smiley Happy.

What we did btw is create 1 base appstack with applications for all users, Business unit appstacks with applictions assigned to a specific group of people doing the same job and single application appstacks.

I believe the most that we have is about 8 assignments (also using writable volumes) and it works like a charm.

0 Kudos