VMware Horizon Community
graynizmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

App Volumes/Writeable Disks and User Layer Data Design

Could anyone provide some more detail on how/why you would use writeable disks in place of or in conjunction with View Persona and/or roaming profiles? Based on the documentation I've read, it seems like writeable disks are only used to store app volume specific settings and/or user selected applications. I understand the concept of storing user applications on the writeable disk, but what is the benefit of storing configuration data on these disks if you already have a solution in place? If the goal of writeable disks is to support psudo-persistent desktops, wouldn't you still need a Persona management solution to handle other user settings?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The writable volume is able to store user installed applications, profile data or both depending on the template used in creation. The reason why you would use one over the other can be simplified by explaining at the core what App Volumes is doing with the data in the volume. App Volumes delivers the data. It does not modify anything after the delivery. Many user environment manager solutions modify settings in some way. That is not what App Volumes does. So if you need for example to modify an applications settings that are being pulled from a SQL database somewhere, that is where a solution like Persona, AppSence, Immidio, etc comes into the mix. App Volumes is able to deliver a local profile in a writable volume. If you are using roaming profiles, as an example, App Volumes can make a very good replacement. If you are using AppSence to pull a setting based on some contextual login parameter, continue to do so.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The writable volume is able to store user installed applications, profile data or both depending on the template used in creation. The reason why you would use one over the other can be simplified by explaining at the core what App Volumes is doing with the data in the volume. App Volumes delivers the data. It does not modify anything after the delivery. Many user environment manager solutions modify settings in some way. That is not what App Volumes does. So if you need for example to modify an applications settings that are being pulled from a SQL database somewhere, that is where a solution like Persona, AppSence, Immidio, etc comes into the mix. App Volumes is able to deliver a local profile in a writable volume. If you are using roaming profiles, as an example, App Volumes can make a very good replacement. If you are using AppSence to pull a setting based on some contextual login parameter, continue to do so.

ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is there more information on the template's when creating a writable volume.  like what each one does?

0 Kudos
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so, i got some information.

there are 3 types User installed applications, user installed applications and profile and the profile only template. User installed applications only records what a user installs on their desktop. The profile keeps track of changes in the C:\Users\* dir but it requires that it starts with a fresh profile. Don't use persona with it.

Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Beat me to the punch, nail on the head. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
graynizmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so the user profile feature would be more appropriate in a greenfield situation? If I'm already using persona or folder redirection, there isn't much benefit other than the "user selected" applications?

0 Kudos
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

right.

0 Kudos