VMware Horizon Community
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

App Volumes Service Crashes at login in Windows 10 1703

We are running Windows 7 and Windows 10 1703 VDI Desktops.  Most of our desktops are instant clones with some full VMs.  On our instant clone desktops with the new App Volumes agent 2.14 the App Volumes Service always crashes at login when you try to attach a writable volume. If I login to the Master Image that the instant clone desktops are created from a writable volume can attach just fine, but once you create instant clones from the snapshot it will crash every time when you login. This is not an issue in Windows 7 with the 2.14 agent.  Everything works as it should.

Has anyone else run across this?  Do people just not use App Volumes with Windows 10 instant clone desktops?  Any ideas on what is actually the issue here?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

pastedImage_0.png

As you can see the service isn't started at login and eventvwr logs the error of the service failing as well as C:\SnapVolumeTemp doesn't have the mount points for the disk(s). 

Relevant lines from the App Volumes log:

[2018-07-26 13:39:49.811 UTC] [svservice:P1432:T4672] HttpInitializeRequest: Manager status 200 response (645 bytes): *2*#2#LOGIN {UserName}

MOUNTED-WRITE;ph-xtm-appvol01\cloudvolumes\writable\{DiskName}.vmdk;{bd46c2a8-67c7-4423-aa3a-fa0928a4e775}

MOUNTED-READ;ph-xtm-appvol01\cloudvolumes\apps\MS_Office_2016_Appstack_Win10_U06.vmdk;{84e3c506-ef7e-4366-bc58-b32aabf2e1c0}

WRITABLE-REBOOT;Volumes were not mounted due to an issue with your writable volume. Please try logging in again, or contact your administrator.

SET-VAR;WRITABLE_FAILURE_ACTION;REBOOT

SET-VAR;WRITABLE_FAILURE_MESSAGE;Volumes were not mounted due to an issue with your writable volume. Please try logging in again, or contact your administrator.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It seems as if you have attached a writable to the golden image once, could that be the case?

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, and where do you get that idea from this?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What happens when you attach a writable on the golden image it creates a mount point registry setting that points to the writable. All writables (when attached) will have the name CVWRITABLE, this could cause some issues..

We saw behavior like this when not refreshing machines after use. And way way back had the issue with a writable that we attached on the golden image..

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a script that build our master images from scratch so generally when moving to a new App volumes agent (or any agent upgrade) I just build the entire thing from scratch.  This includes when I built the image with the new 2.14.0 Appvolumes agent.  There has definitely never been any app volume attached to this machine ever.

techguy129
Expert
Expert

Does the writable volume get attached to the VM. If not, any errors in vcenter?

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The writable volume attaches (and any other appstacks as well). Just none of the scripts for the writable volume run because the service crashes.

I want to also add, I've done testing.  This happens with Windows 10 1803 as well, but doesn't happen using the 2.13.2 app volumes agent.

0 Kudos
Stefan21
Contributor
Contributor

I have a script like that in mind. How do you do that?

0 Kudos