VMware Horizon Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes Provisioning, Assigning, and Attaching fine yet "Access is Denied" when trying to access app

No issues in provisioning, assigning or attaching a handful of apps. Not ever any errors received yet when trying to access directories for simple apps such as Program Files\WinZip, I get an access is denied error. Already checked GPOs here and all is set to "Not Configured" - VMware Knowledge Base

I've tried recreated the appstacks several times, recreating instant clone pools etc and all of my app stacks result in the same "access is denied" error when trying to access the content on the actual desktop.

Further details:

• Windows 10 x64 1709 desktops and provisioning machine (local admin on provisioning machine)
  • App Volumes v2.16
  • UEM with just default profile and quick start settings
  • All removable storage deny settings disabled
  • No other errors or issues
  • I did just notice "invalid Active Directory Credentials" in the App Volumes system messages log but it only happens every few hours

UPDATE: I checked and I have zero permissions for the app directory after attached to the instant clone. So, program files\FileZilla, I set as everyone full control after installing on provisioning machine just for a temporary test. When I attach to the instant clone, the directory shows up but I don't even have read access to get into that directory.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe this is your answer??

AppStack Access Denied

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ray, I have already checked those GPOs but I will triple check to make sure no other policy is in effect.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just for testing purposes could you try and set the permissions on that specific folder and check to see if they pertain when attaching to the VM?

Maybe even create a folder on the C drive with a very specific subset of permissions to see if they are actually pertained.

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tested multiple suggestions and still the error is the same.

In testing, I've found I can only clear the error by setting the end user to local admin and then all app stacks function correctly after assigned and attached. This makes little sense to me and I have never run into this before..

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We don't see this issue to be honest so I have no idea why it is doing this in the first place.. We have a lot of users that don't have administrative permissions but are able to start up applications.

0 Kudos