VMware Horizon Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes Chrome Appstack Plugins

I have an app stack with chrome and i am having an issue w/ chrome plugins, when i try to install a chrome plug it complains that it could not install package 'COULD_NOT_GET_TEMP_DIRECTORY". I also have a writable volume running so this doesn't seem to be pulling the package to the Writable. Has anyone experienced this before and know a resolution or do i need to build this into my parent image and not use AppVols for this app.

Chrome-Error.PNG

Thanks

49 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please follow the below steps and check again.

Chrome.png

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Lakshman,

I have the svdriver dir in my registry but not the paramaters to create the new DWORD in .. should i just put int hte svdriver?

Capture.PNG

Let me know what you think ... thanks!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes you need to create that key and call it parameters. Then you can crete that specific registry value, it's a DWORD.

And Lakshman and me had a little discussion going on if it needs to be either 4 or 6 Smiley Happy.

We use 6, what it does is it gives the writable volume only a drive letter but hides it in the explorer.

Smart users might be able to reach it if they just type in 😧 or whatever driveletter the writable received though.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Ray,

Yeah i am running App Vols 2.12 with horizon 7.0.3 and am able to get to the snapvolumestemp dir where the writeable is mounted, but i dont have that folder in the registry previously mentioned, it stops at svdriver i doesn't have the "parameters\ where i can create the DWORD entry "DriveLetterSettings" w/ the value of "4" should i just create it in the root of svdriver? 

Chrome.png\

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please create the 'Parameters' key under svdriver and create the "DriveLetterSettings" under 'Parameters'.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I created the Key and Added the Drive letter DWORD, is this correct? I closed Chrome and Reopened it tried to download a extension and same result do i need to reboot or can i add this to UEM to have it work. Thanks

Captur_e.PNG

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

That's correct. Try restarting the App Volumes Agent once and check.

Suggest to add this registry change on the base image.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK i did get a reaction from restarting the App Vols Service, it broke all my apps. Is there a way to redirect the chrome extensions download with UEM?

Current state left over icons and apps are gone , i unassigned and re assigned and that didnt fix it i had to log off and login to new LC VM..

Capture11.PNG

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the record, never restart the Appvolumes service when you are actually logged in and have appstacks or a writable attached.

You need to change this setting in the golden image and update your pool with this image. Even if you reboot, the machine will be back to it's cleaned state (I do hope you are using pooled desktops?) and the setting won't be there so it won't work.

For testing purposes (if that is what you want) you can also go to disk management and assign a drive letter to the writable volume manually. If you then try to install an add on in Chrome it will work.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Sorry, my bad. As suggested in my earlier post, please add the registry changes to the base image.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK try on the parent and recompose? Sure i will give that a go and let you know thanks

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried the Parameter addition to my Parent VM and pushed it out to my LC and tried to download a Extension and no luck, have you been able to get this working? Not sure if im missing something here.. Can we redirect extension w/ UEM?

Chrome-E.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you try and set it to 6?

And the key is called parameters? (with the s at the end).

Also, if you check disk management, do you see that the writable volume has a driveletter??

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Ray,

Yes the parameters has a "s" on it, but what you said made me think. I am not getting any reaction from the "registry" update / addition , but when i mount the Writable with a Drive letter manually and try to download a chrome extension it downloads to the writable.

Check it out guys, I mounted the Writable to the "H" drive and tried the chrome extension and it worked, but is there a way to mount this "automatically" which it being hidden like it does with the SnapVolumes\Temp Dir? I am running horizon 7.0.3 with appVols 2.12...

Cap.PNG

Thanks guys .. i think were close to nailing this!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's what the DriveLetterSettings=6 (or 4) is for.

As said, we are using 6. This gives the writable volume a drive letter and hides it in the explorer so the users doesn't see it.

For us this works correctly.

I believe 4 gives the writable a drive letter but doesn't hide it from the explorer which could cause confusion with the users because they have an extra drive letter and it could cause your writable to fill up rather quickly because they save info on it. But it depends on what you would like to achieve.

0 Kudos
saieesh
Contributor
Contributor

Even I'm facing the same issue, when i add the registry entry and set the value to 4 or 6 there is no affect on the writable volume. But when i assign the drive letter manually, chrome extensions work fine. Is it anything related to the version of the AppVolumes not allowing the registry to add drive letter to the writable volume.

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey saieesh,

Yes there is. You need to have the 2.12 version. We've tested 2.9 and 2.10 (haven't done this with 2.11) and in 2.12 it works.

You do need to have the DriveLetterSetting=6 reg key though otherwise it won't work. It will give the writable a drive letter and hide it from the explorer. Just try and find it in disk manager, it should be there.

0 Kudos
saieesh
Contributor
Contributor

hey Ray

Thank you for your response. i have version 2.12.0.70 running and i had deployed the registry settings from UEM. i can see the registry value from regedit on the VDI but when i open the diskmgmt the relevant settings are not getting affected.

Like if it is 4 it should assign drive letter and if it is 6 assign and hide the drive, either of the registry is not working.

thank you.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to add that I've not managed to go the DriveLetterSettings dword working with agent 2.12.70. I have it in my base image to remove drive letters from app stacks, but it just doesn't apply regardless of value (no problem with older agents).

I've taken to using diskpart to remove drive letters instead. Slightly off topic.

0 Kudos