VMware Horizon Community
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 4 and UEM not running smoothly

Hi

Trying out App Volumes 4 with UEM and I am using shortcuts that have "check if %programdiles%\insetprogram.exe exists" enabled on my shortcuts.

The ones that doesn't have that works, the ones that is checking does not work.

It works with AppStacks 2.18, and it worked with 4.0 Beta, but not GA version.

The AppStacks Packages are being connected as they should, I can start word, or whatever I have in Appvolume so they are there and registered in Windows, but mu uem shortcuts doesn't  work

Anyone else trying out 4.0 and having troubles?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Maybe good to move the DEM-specific part of this to the Dynamic Environment Manager​ forum?

In the meantime:

• The most common reason for a "hanging" FlexEngine.exe is trying to map printers without having the printer drivers in the base image. Could that be the case?
  • Can you share a FlexEngine log (at log level DEBUG)? If you don't want to post that publicly, feel free to send it to me in a DM.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

• Did you want to use %programdiles% or %programfiles% as a path in the condition?
  • Could you please create a triggered task with the trigger as "All Appstacks Attached", Action as "User Environment Refresh" and choose Refresh as "ShortCuts"?
    • This suggestion assumes that you have applications coming as 4.0 applications.

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe DEMdev​ has seen this with the new Appvolumes.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks, sjesse, but I actually saw this work just fine in Guru's environment an hour ago or so Smiley Happy. I'm really just-DEM-and-not-even-a-tiny-bit-of-App-Volumes-dev, so I'm not sure what might be happening here for CyberTron123​​.

I know that (in the past?) there used to be a call to FlexEngine.exe -UEMRefreshShortcuts in the App Volumes allvolattached_shellstarted (?) script – maybe something changed there? Either way, that was not a great workaround anyway, which is why we introduced that All AppStacks attached trigger in UEM 9.4:

pastedImage_14.png

CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will try this and get back to you all :smileygrin:

thanks!

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Think I may have found the culprit, I am looking in the svservice.log and at first there are "normal" events, but then it starts getting errors:

CVolumeResourceHandler::SignalBaseDiskReady: Couldn't open wemcapture_basediskready event. Can't find the file (2/0000002)

RunScriptParams: Scripts for event (logon) are not found for device\harddiskVolume15. can't find the file

failed to get old script path

and so on. And then it starts waiting for like 20 seconds (in which time DEM has already started and the windows is logged on.

my guess it that something has happened with my templates or something.

CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, so I have now reinstalled my AppVolumes 4 server, made new application stacks , upsgraded my DEM to 9.10 and still doesn't work when I have a "file exist" option in DEM.

I do however have extremely fast logon time now, less than 30 seconds. and I have also notice that the DEM FlexEngine seems to hang at boot, if I kill the process and do a refresh everything works.

I have had this behaviour before, that the DEM process hangs, (it is related to the asynchronous part of DEM)

is there anything else I should do ? if I installed 2.18 agent on my VM it works as it should.

perhaps it is time to involve vmware support.

/Michael

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Maybe good to move the DEM-specific part of this to the Dynamic Environment Manager​ forum?

In the meantime:

• The most common reason for a "hanging" FlexEngine.exe is trying to map printers without having the printer drivers in the base image. Could that be the case?
  • Can you share a FlexEngine log (at log level DEBUG)? If you don't want to post that publicly, feel free to send it to me in a DM.
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi DEMdev

Thanks!! Seems you were right, it was a printer issue, I removed all printers from my test user and voila, shortcuts are back!

Finally I can continue building up my AppVolumes 4 Applications :smileygrin:

/Michael Widegren

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Happy to hear it's working – thank you for letting us know!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We have the exact same issue and we are also attaching printers with DEM 9.9 and Appvolumes 4.0.

I will try this out first thing in the morning,

We do have another issue though.

We are using network printers and the moment we add an Appvolumes 4.0 appstack we cannot connect to a network printer anymore. Do you see the same issue??

0 Kudos