VMware Horizon Community
DanielLenz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 4: Versioning of Packages

Hi there,

I created an "application" called "Technical Department Apps".

Then I packaged a package called "Technical Department Apps v1.0" with a lot of "programs" inside it.

After packaging process went through and finalized successful theres a popup in the packaging VM, wehere I can choose the program and see the version and one could add notes.

The package shows the version of a program inside the package afterwards and not the version of my package just created. I also can not edit the version of the package.

Is there a way to make versioning packages work as I expected, what am I doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi DanielLenz,

I am really glad you are enjoying App Volumes!

While modifying this particular field in the database may be benign, unfortunately we cannot recommend editing the SQL database, as this can often lead to issues if not done properly. Modification to the database may also inadvertently cause compatibility and support issues in the future as our developers will not anticipate the database being modified directly by the administrator.

Thank you again for your interest in the product.  I will pass on your excitement to the team!

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SAsselin007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The version information comes from the program installed and is grabbed during install.

You could reverse engineer it and search the registry key (most likely under MSI install path) or you could also just go in the SQL Database and update the version there.

Updating the SQL DB is at your own risk as support often says that modifying the tables directly is not safe.

Curious though, why did you package the apps together and not individually? Packaging them together will prevent you from updating a single app, you'll have to update the whole package any time one of the apps change...

0 Kudos
DanielLenz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi SAsselin007,

yes, I already changed the version number in SQL db, but I think this is not how it is intented.

I am using the approach to create application packages for a department or user group that need the same bundle of apps.

When there is a requirement to update one or more applications the whole application bundle will be updated and published, the old will be retired then after testing.

Thanks to the new states of packages coming with AV4 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi DanielLenz​,

Glad you like the new package lifecycle states. 

In this particular use case of stacking apps, it would make sense that the package version is editable as a text field during packaging.  Please note that the .json file along side the vhd/vmdk file will also still contain the version number finalized during packaging.

Thank you.

Jeff Ulatoski
0 Kudos
DanielLenz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi julatoski,

App Volumes 4 is a great product at all. Everyone should try it out Smiley Happy

so should I change the version via the sql db table edit or is this not recommended by VMware?

best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi DanielLenz,

I am really glad you are enjoying App Volumes!

While modifying this particular field in the database may be benign, unfortunately we cannot recommend editing the SQL database, as this can often lead to issues if not done properly. Modification to the database may also inadvertently cause compatibility and support issues in the future as our developers will not anticipate the database being modified directly by the administrator.

Thank you again for your interest in the product.  I will pass on your excitement to the team!

Jeff Ulatoski
0 Kudos
DanielLenz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi julatoski,

our whole team loves app volumes since years now Smiley Wink

Will mark your last answer as correct, because this is what matters to the customer and for us as a service provider.

Just updated to AV4U1 (VMware App Volumes 4 Update 1 Release Notes) in our lab. We were also struggling with packaging Chrome the last weeks Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Daniel