Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Would be nice to have at least an idea if it's Q1/2/3/4 Smiley Happy

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 15.57.18.png

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware App Volumes 3.0 that will be generally available later this quarter.

RAMOps
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone explain some real life scenarios where AppToggle would come in handy?

Also re: the new licensing model - we purchased a pack of 50 but in 'my vmware' it doesn't say whether that is standard/advanced or enterprise. Will everyone who has already bought AppVolumes be put in to 'standard' by default?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've read that if you have Horizon enterprise you will get AppVolumes enterprise, see the comments at the end of the post:

http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2016/02/vmware-app-volumes-3-0.html

AppToggle will help in the decision on how to distribute applications among stars and user. You will reduce the number of appstacks, and so login time if you have may different user types, like in education, where also licensing issues are common. Instead if building many stacks and assigning them to users you could build fever and control assignment of apps inside the stack.

0 Kudos
sachindsharma
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@RAMOps, if you purchased standalone App Volumes, you'll be entitled to App Volumes Advanced once we go GA.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has the release date been confirmed yet? We'd assumed based on previous blogs that it was the 14th?

I'm hoping it is soon - reluctant to deploy 2.10 at the moment.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is another thread regarding 3.0. Release date was 17th but has been postponed a few days.

I would still not suggest going to 3.0 though. There is no upgrade path yet so you will need to rebuild from scratch. Also, as JHT said in the other thread, this seems to be a 1.0 build of all integrated services. Not only is Appvolumes available in this new manager/console but also UEM is inthere.

Also eagerly awaiting Horizon 7 with Workspace One..

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I will build a parallel setup with 3.0. I need it for windows 10 + writable. 2.10 is not working right now in the configuration. I hope things are working now in 3.0

I'm really exited about Horizon 7 + Blast + Vsan 6.2 with dedup

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VSAN 6.2 is out now with the ESXi 6.0 U2 release, but those cool dedupe/compression features only apply to all-flash setups.  Besides, you wouldn't use those features with linked clones, or instant clones.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, all flash, this is what I'm building. Of course cheap intel drives , nothing too exotic. I'm thinking about user data/user apps in writable volumes and since when you enable dedup it's for the whole vSan, you have to use it also for the replicas and linked clones. And I wouldn't underestimate the effectiveness of dedup also for the delta files of linked clones.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey all,

3.0 is GA together with Horizon 7.0. Time for some more interesting test moments Smiley Happy Smiley Happy.

Will keep you informed about results if we have any..

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ray,

deployed it yesterday. I'm a bit confused by the new interface and provisioning model  but I discovered that you can still access the old manager on port 3443.

That said, when I copy an appstack in the app share, AV3 won't recognised it, I have already opened a SR. I'm trying to understand if it's possible to use a load balancer or not, the documentation could be better.

Some issues were fixed, for example edge works in w10 + writable, but some other not, like the start menu is still not working in w10 + writable. Sometimes I'm wondering how VMware performs testing, being able to search for applications in the start menu seems pretty a basic functionality for me I opened a SR 4 months ago, but the fix is still not here.

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

It is not recommended to make changes in the "old" AV Manager when working with App Volumes 3.0.

regarding the AppStacks you are trying to upload, did you create a new AV 3.0 appstack with the AV 3.0 App Capture tool ?

If you did, you will have a vmdk and a json file which is necessary for AV 3.0 to recognize the AV 3.0 appstack format and to upload it to the datastore.

Kind regards,

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Raymond_WRaymond_W

yes, I did create the stacks with the new tool, and copied them to the share defined in app volumes.

I'm not even able to create a writable, since when I try to create it the OS menu that is compulsory is blank!

Cristiano

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.42.58.png

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Christiano,

Thank you,

You've mentioned that you've created an SR, let's wait for support so they can check your configuration.

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
lvanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am trying to deploy App Vol 3.0 and when i enter the details to add the vCenter, i get an error that it cannot connect to vCenter.

Has anyone else experienced this issue yet?

sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

either import the SSL certificates from your Vcenter or disable SSL validation in the appliacne

lvanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You rock sappomannoz‌ that did the trick

0 Kudos
MBUSDC
Contributor
Contributor

Has any one had an issue registering a new Windows file share in the AV Getting Started UI? We have tried to set one up on a file server and have added permissions but the connection fails.

0 Kudos