VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

App Volumes 2.7 - Windows 8.1 - Start menu

Hello,

I have an issue with applications not showing up in the start menu. Sometimes when the VMware infrastructure is a little bit more under stress I have problems with the start menu of my windows clients.

I can see the stacked application in the file system and I even see the shortcuts in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". But if I open the start menu and look/search for the applications they are not here.

A way to have them back is to add something in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs", this triggers a refresh of the start menu and now it's possible to se all the shortcuts in the start menu for the packaged applications. Currently I'm mounting the volumes directly on the ESX hosts and I'm using the broker integration service. Any other people here with Windows 8.1 having the same issues?

Regards

Cristiano

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

disabling the broker integration service seems to mitigate the issue.

Cristiano

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok,

also roaming the start menu

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms

breaks the population of the applications in the startmenu

Cristiano

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the record, we are not using W8 right now so this is more thinking of solutions than actually be able to try them.

First off, is your sequencing machine also Windows 8.1? I would suggest creating a clone of your Golden image, uninstall the VMWare Agent and use it as your sequencing machine.

Second. If the appstack is attached after you login, although the files are created in the folder you  need to refresh the start menu to let them show (normally).

What Appvolumes does (maybe Jason can confirm) is that it processes a refresh of the desktop and the startmenu to trigger this update automatically. Could it be the startup.bat file has been fiddles with on the template VMDK?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello Ray,

our golden image and the sequencing machine are coming form the same snapshot, minus the vmware agent and antivirus.

So, the question is, how to refresh the start menu? I have looked at the startup.bat of an appstack, but I see nothing related to a refresh of the start menu inside it.

Also googling around I'm not able to find a way to refresh it. Some one suggests to update the timestamp on the .lnk files but this seems not to work

Regards

Cristiano

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So I wrote a small utility to update the start menu in windows 8.1 in C#

This seems to do the trick and constantly update the start menu in windows 8.1. I'm wondering if I'm the only one have issues with Windows 8.1, AppVolumes and the start menu

Regards

Cristiano

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Linq;

using System.Text;

using System.Threading.Tasks;

using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace ConsoleApplication1

{

class Program

{

private const int SHCNE_UPDATEDIR = 0x00001000;

private const int SHCNF_IDLIST = 0x0000;

private const int CSIDL_COMMON_STARTMENU = 0x0016;

private const int CSIDL_STARTMENU = 0x000b;

[DllImport("shell32.dll")]

static extern void SHChangeNotify(int wEventId, int uFlags, IntPtr dwItem1, IntPtr dwItem2);

[DllImport("shell32.dll")]

static extern Int32 SHGetFolderLocation(IntPtr hwndOwner, Int32 nFolder, IntPtr hToken, UInt32 dwReserved, out IntPtr ppidl);

static void Main(string[] args)

{

IntPtr pidlCSM;

IntPtr pidlSM;

SHGetFolderLocation(IntPtr.Zero, CSIDL_COMMON_STARTMENU, IntPtr.Zero, 0, out pidlCSM);

SHChangeNotify(SHCNE_UPDATEDIR, SHCNF_IDLIST, pidlCSM, IntPtr.Zero);

SHGetFolderLocation(IntPtr.Zero, CSIDL_STARTMENU, IntPtr.Zero, 0, out pidlSM);

SHChangeNotify(SHCNE_UPDATEDIR, SHCNF_IDLIST, pidlSM, IntPtr.Zero);

}

}

}

0 Kudos
jvvovf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we are running Windows 8.1 and have the problem with the Start menu. I really hope VMware will fix their App Volumes agent, not everyone is running Windows 7 like they do in their labs.

Can you explain how you implement this refresh program in your Appstack?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello, I copy it somewhere in the base image and I execute it with a group policy. Here you can find a compiled version.

http://aggroworld.org/2015/05/14/windows-8-1-programmatically-refresh-the-start-menu/

Cristiano

0 Kudos