VMware Horizon Community
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes 2.14 Agent and Programs that start with Windows

I just completed an upgrade of one of our View pods to App Volumes 2.14. We are seeing an interesting issue where programs that start with Windows are no longer doing so. Examples are Snag It, Display Fusion, and IBM DB2 Connect. With IBM DB2 Connect the user actually gets kicked out of the VM before they get fully logged into the VM. If we move the agent back to 2.12.1 the version we were on previously everything works normally. I'm planning on opening a case with VMware curious if anyone had seen anything similar.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In 2.12 they didn't use reverse_replicate what meant that the application was completely merged before logging is started. This could cause longer login times but the applications were ready after login.

With reverse_replicate logon is being released quite quickly so logon times are quicker but you could end up with appstacks that are not fully merged before Windows is logged in.

To be honest we haven't seen that issue because merging of the appstack for us still is done within afew seconds. Only applications we did see this with is Adobe CC and Exact which are very large applications. They are still merging after login but we don;t start those up after logon.

It could be that this is the issue you are seeing..

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ray,

Thanks for the info. So we are seeing this issue with AppStacks made from the 2.12.1 template with the 2.14 agent. We have tried creating new Appstacks with the 2.14 template and have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How do you start the application? By using a run key or by using the startup folder?

Strange thing is that we do see this working as intended although we don't want applications to start up automatically so we remove the keys and startup shortcuts.

What do you see when looking into the svservice.log??

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ray,

I'm not sure how IBM DB2 connect launches at startup. Guessing its a registry key. IBM DB2 Connect is the only AppStack so far that is causing log in issues. Display Fusion will not launch when a user logs in, but the log in completes and they can work. That is controlled by a registry key in HKEY_Local_Machine. I have verified that the registry key is still present in the AppStack when it is mounted.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My guess is that it simply takes to long to merge all application files of the IBM DB2 application.

Do you happen to use UEM? You could try and trigger the startup using UEM. 9.3 and higher have an option to execute an action after Appvolumes is loaded entirely, might be worth a shot.

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ray,

We do use UEM. I've got a case open with VMware. Right now we have moved back to the 2.12.1 agent and everything is working.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Very curious what the issue eventually is, please keep us posted!

0 Kudos