VMware Horizon Community
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.12 Writable Volumes and Adobe Reader - Internal error

We have a Win10 x64 1607 golden Image with Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.18 installed. The OS source language is german and we installed the german Adobe Acrobat Reader. But when we assign a writable volume, the language of Adobe Reader switch to english and a few seconds after start of the Adobe Reader an error message will shown: "There was an error during initialization. An internal error occured."

WV_Error.PNG

Without an writable volume it looks like this:

pastedImage_1.png

Without an WV it works like i was suggested. But what can i do to solve that problem? Can i exclude some registry path or processes?

It looks for me personly, that AppVolumes will recognize Adobe Reader and it set a default language.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Disabling the Protected mode is a workaround for time being. VMware is aware of this issue and working on a permanent fix for the same.

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss the timeline of the fix/releases.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Could you disable "Protected mode" in Adobe Reader (on the golden image) and check please.

0 Kudos
tschuegy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have set the following value to dword 0:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\FeatureLockDown\bProtectedMode

Then it works. Adobe Reader is starting in German and no error warning is displayed. But it cannot be the final solution. We have another application which only works with protected mode. Do you have another solution? Any exclusions in snapvol.cfg file?

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Disabling the Protected mode is a workaround for time being. VMware is aware of this issue and working on a permanent fix for the same.

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss the timeline of the fix/releases.

0 Kudos
jqvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Lakshman,  any word on the fix for stopping invalid Adobe Reader configuration with AppVolumes? 

We have seen similar issues with Protected Mode since AppVol 2.6, which still seem exist in 2.12.1 startup.bat.  AppVol forces bProtectedMode=0 in the provisioning/attachment scripts, which creates an invalid configuration if the customer sets ProtectedView=1 in their environment. (ie, when customer requires a secure configuration)

(See the note at the top of this page)

Protected Mode — Acrobat Application Security Guide

A workaround we have used is to change these regkeys in the later stages of login using allvolsattached.bat in an appstack applied to all users.

Thanks

Josh

0 Kudos