VMware Horizon Community
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.12 User Logs in Before Appstacks finish Processing

sometimes when a user logs into his W10 1607 desktop, he sees a drive letter for each of the appstacks.  about 5 minuets later, the drive letters go away and the apps they are supposed to serve appear.  The problem is that the users can't find the apps for the first 5 minutes, and UEM directflex does not detect the apps during logon, so when the apps finally do appear, no settings are loaded for them.

all machines refresh on logoff.

Has anyone else seen this?

29 Replies
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can see it if you disable hiding protected operating system files in Windows Explorer:

hide_protected.PNG

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't care about the drive letters as they go away after the appstacks finish processing anyway, and if app volumes was working correctly the appstacks would be processed before login which means the user would never see them.  As for the mountpoints in SnapVolumesTemp I see all of the mountpoints immediately at login but the applications are still not there.  After 10 or so seconds the applications will then appear, the CVApps drives will then be hidden and everything will be finished processing.  I do not see a drvinst.exe process during that time.  Also, I do not use writeable volumes.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

jmatz

I know you are not interested i the driveletters but still. Could you try changing a few appstacks with the following KB Network drive letters are not mapped to VMware App Volumes AppStacks (2139351) | VMware KB ?

What i see happening is that logon is much quciker and for some reason (dont ask my why) the Appvolumes agent is waiting for the driveletter to be removed before continuing with attaching and processing appstacks. It won't fix the wait for for applications before login issue but you should see a much quicker attachment and processing of the appstacks. Very intersted to find out if it does work for you. I now have about a 55 second activity in the svservice.log with 1 writable and 6 appstacks whereas it used to be about 2,5 to almost 3 minutes before making this change.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I changed the setting on a few of our appstacks.  Now when you log in it never shows the drives as it did before, but as you said it still doesn't wait at login for the appstacks to finish processing as it should.  I don't know about the speed of login though.  It does seem perhaps a bit quicker but as I said in our environment we only needed to wait about 10 seconds for the appstacks to finish processing so that may be down to about 8 seconds now, hard to say though.  I will be adding this to the templates though so this is useful information, just not an answer to the issue at hand.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just having a short epiphany. What happens if you do set teh registry key AsyncMount and set it to 0?? Would that forcebly disable the async mount option?? No idea if this works though to be honest.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yeah, I debated doing that, but you have to set the setting on the client and on the server.  I may try that anyway.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I tried setting the asyncmount setting to 0 just to see if that forced it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.  Login still continues before appstack processing is finished.

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone been able to fix this issue?

I'm having the exact same problem with Windows 7 x64 / Appvolumes 2.12 / Horizon 6.2.2 floating linked clones

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nope, no fix as far as I know.  We are stuck using the 2.11 agent for now until there is a fix, but while VMware acknowledged the issue I don't even know if they are trying to actually fix it.

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem seems to be related to some kind of time measurement service. Couldn't find anything on the internet though...

[2017-09-14 11:46:40.449 UTC] [svservice:P1156:T4524] OnStartShell: Error Failed to Start DCT Logger

[2017-09-14 11:47:10.158 UTC] [svservice:P1156:T3732] ReplicateFonts_Install: No fonts in {7d925404-9883-11e7-a010-0050569a7536}

[2017-09-14 11:47:40.251 UTC] [svservice:P1156:T3920] ReplicateFonts_Install: No fonts in {7d925408-9883-11e7-a010-0050569a7536}

[2017-09-14 11:51:50.478 UTC] [svservice:P1156:T1428] MeasureTime::RecordCenter: Start recording  GUID:{57db0b92-8ace-11e6-b539-806e6f63} Type:1

0 Kudos