VMware Horizon Community
virtualhobo
Contributor
Contributor

App Volumes 2.10 Horizon Broker Integration Services

Hi,

Currently upgrading (more reinstalling) our lab with version 2.10 of App Volumes.

Noticed that there's no option to install the Horizon Broker Services like in the previous versions. I don't see anything in the release notes related to the removal or replaced functionality of this service.

Anyone knows what is happening with this feature?

Thanks!

9 Replies
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The integration broker has been removed. We heard from vmware that they were not really happy with its performance.

To be honest, I have never noticed a difference in performance or logon times with or without it.

0 Kudos
virtualhobo
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest i never notice any improvement either, was hoping though that they would fix it to help and accelerate the app stack mount/delivery.

I would have like to see an official communication in the release notes at least.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wait what?? First they told us to install it and now they just removed it?

We still have an issue with machines being reconfigured. It takes up to 3 seconds per appstack to do this (on ESX 6 and up) so if i had 8 appstacks i was looking at my View client telling me a machine was being set up for me for more than 40 seconds. We ditched it right away.

Normally, if the reconfigure is done within a few seconds i only see an increase of about 1 second per appstack. During logon it has to process all the batch files on the VMDK and merge reg keys and stuff during logon.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Correct in that the performance of the BIS was not ideal nor what was hopped for. 2.10 has made some significant improvements to performance and at scale the BIS could actually cause a negative impact.

Ray the issue you are having with ESX 6 is a separate issue and being looked at by the ESX team. This is a known performance issue with ESX and being actively looked at. That team is just not as fast as the AV team Smiley Wink But I thought you where supposed to get a test build soon right?

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey Jason,

You are absolutely right in all three off your statements Smiley Happy Smiley Happy. No it has got nothing to do with AV, and no, they are not that quick in fixing the issue and yes, we got a test build Smiley Happy. I will inform every on the other post in the forums of our progress.. Have a good feeling about it though that this will fix it.

Still, i didn't really get the grasp of what that broker was for. For as far as I could see its that the connection servers sends the request to AV manager instead of the VDI itself. I never really noticed a time win in logging in. Performance got much better along the way buit mostly due to changing the Agent, not the broker service.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It was an attempt to improve login times but never really paid off.. There are other areas that can and have produced greater measurable gains so we are going after those instead.

0 Kudos
matthiasFF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would still be nice to have this mentioned in the release notes! Especially when upgrading is not possible and the broker needs to be manually uninstalled!!!

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Jason!

Since upgrading our test environment to 2.10 and updating all AppVol's with the 2.10 template, I have to say that everything does seem a bit more "Snappy".

Thanks for the constant feedback on the discussion boards

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Brog
Contributor
Contributor

I liked the idea, but like most the reality is it never really gave enough improvement.  Overall experience was actually negative because users were stuck with more pre-vdi waiting time than a visible session in progress.    I do appreciate all the development effort in trying this and other solutions!  The AppVolumes technology is impressive and I look forward to future advancements.

Brian

0 Kudos