VMware Horizon Community
Yorick1
Contributor
Contributor

App Volume 2.x and Esxi 6 / vSphere 6

Hi,

Have anybody experience with App Volume 2.x (especially with 2.7) and Esxi6 with vSphere 6. I ask because we will update our envoirement for using vGPU, but Esxi6 / vSphere 6 is not as supportet listed.

Thanks for any posts

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Euhm... Are you aiming for productuion?? 🙂

We are actually using vGPU and the list starts to get longer and longer Smiley Happy

First, when using vGPU you need to enable Aero for all vGPU enabled desktops, otherwise you will end up with large white "blocks" on your screen. It is actually in the release notes of the vGPU driver set as a known issue and they are working on it. It seems to be related to not being able to refresh the screen.

Second. We get a lot of disconnects when using vGPU. Apparantly it is also knows at VMWare and nVidia. What happens is that the nvidea dll crashes and thus disconnecting the session. You can log back into it but it kinda sucks if this is something you are testing with. We have users that experience more than 10 disconnects per day.

And last but not least (we are allready looking into it with appvolumes). When you have more than 1 appstack assigned to a user the reconfigure action in VCenter takes over 20 seconds. When you use older vcenter versions it is done within the second. So logging in takes quite some time now. To be honest i'm, not quite sure if it is related to VCenter, appvolumes, the combination of both or our setup.

JHT suggested, in another thread, that it might be related to copying the image from 5.x to a 6.0 vsphere environment. We did however try to install a new golden image on the Vsphere 6.0 environment and experienced the same issue. If you're going to test it please let me know if you see the exact same issues.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nothing official with the 2.7 release, but I'm using all 3 versions you list (ESXi 6.0, vCenter 6.0, App Volumes 2.7.0) and all is working just fine.  View 6.1.0 environment.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey JHT, Willing to come here and fix it for us?? 🙂 🙂 So the reconfigure of your machines is within a few seconds?? We see if slowly progressing to 5%, then to 10% and then to 100% and this all takes upt to 25 seconds.. I did try to create a new golden image installed on VSphere 6.0 cleanly but still the same issue.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We might be looking at two different things, but we're in a desktop with apps attached under 25 seconds.  One thing I am noticing, though, is that we'll get put into a desktop just slightly before the stack is attached, so if you launch the application too fast and it had something like an addition to the PATH variable, it won't be fully working.

0 Kudos
VUTiger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very curious about the delay issue.  We just upgraded to vCenter 6.0 but have not upgraded our ESXi hosts from 5.5 to 6.0 yet.  We may hold off until this issue is either verified or resolved.

Very curious to see what you find.

0 Kudos