VMware Horizon Community
Monico
Contributor
Contributor

App Volume 2.12 installing Microsoft SQL Server 2016

When I'm trying to install Microsoft SQL server 2016 and deploy it everything goes smoothly. After I deploy the app stack once a user tries to launch is they get the error message " Licenses: prelease software The license has expired." The application launches fine on the template, but when you deploy it the end user can not launch it. Has any one been able to work around this?

I have tried repairing Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (isolated) per another article, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please use a clone of the base/master image for provisioning, instead of a clean VM. This will help to overcome the license issue when assigning the AppStack to the virtual desktops if the pool uses quickprep.

0 Kudos
Monico
Contributor
Contributor

We are already using a clone of the master image for provisioning.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Could you confirm whether you are using SysPrep or QuickPrep for personalization of pools?

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We've had the same issue here with SQL Tools 2012 and up.  I'd also be interested in the solution.  We've had to go with SQL Tools 2008 for now which doesn't have this issue, but hoping for a permanent solution.

We've also had SQL Tools 2014 crash quite frequently when deploying as an AppStack, again 2008 does not have this issue either.

0 Kudos
Monico
Contributor
Contributor

We use Quick prep for linked clones.

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We actually use our parent-image to do the Appstack for SQL Server Tools,  no clone at all.  Once we are done we revert to our last production snapshot.  

MikleF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is only way it works anymore.

You used to be able to create a clone of your master without customizing which preserved the SID.

But tried it with 2.12 and the way the handle lookup + attachment caused it to always hook it up to my master.

Alternatively you can always install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (isolated) in your base image.

0 Kudos