VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

App Stack updates

What is the best practice for updating App Stack version?  We have some appstacks that were create with 2.10 and now we are up to 2.14.2.   We have applications using every app volume version in between. What is the recommended way of updating the files associated with the app stack themselves related to app volumes?

For example:

snapvol.cfg, prestartup.bat, svoffice.exe, etc.

Aside from having to recreate the appstack from scratch of course.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware support told me to use the built in appstack update process to accomplish this (same as if you were updating an appstack with new software version etc.)  They told me it automatically replaces those with the latest version during this process.  I haven't tested yet.

IMO the only way to fully bring an application up to date is to re-build it from scratch.  For example the 2.10 snapvol.cfg may or may not have had certain exclusions in that version, so files you want might not have been captures, and files you don't want may not have been excluded.  Not going to fix that without a complete re-capture.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

That is a great point about capturing or not capturing certain files.   I would require for one to do the entire process over again.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware support told me to use the built in appstack update process to accomplish this (same as if you were updating an appstack with new software version etc.)  They told me it automatically replaces those with the latest version during this process.  I haven't tested yet.

It could be me but I have no idea why they keep on saying this, for as far as I know this is NOT true. The moment you update an appstack it does not copy the snapvol.cfg and other files from the new template into this disk, how should it now that as it does not touch the template at all when updateing an appstack.

The only way to update it now is to first upload the new template, then attach that to a machine that does not have an Appvolumes agent, copy the snapvol.cfg and any other changed files from it.

After that select Update from the Appvol Manager and DO NOT start capturing already. Just attach that new disk to the same basic machine without Appvolumes installed, and copy the files from the template onto that disk. Thing is if you do start capturing it will eventually seal the disk as read only and you cannot add files to it anymore.

If there is a nother way, please feel free to add the option how to do it.

That being said, we also have a bunch of different appstack template version. To be honest most of the time there is no need to update the appstacks with the new template files. If you do have an issue with an appstack your better of just recreating that one appstack or change the files in that one appstack. Most of the application you package are not that complicated that it needs a new template.

0 Kudos