VMware Horizon Community
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

App Readiness going crazy after upgrade to 2.16+

I have an open support case, but i thought i'd ask if anyone else has seen this issue.

Over a weekend we updated our appvolume server from 2.14 to 2.16.  The following monday our VDI cluster was screaming.  The cause was the app readiness service crawling the appvolume's non-stop using 25-40% cpu constantly. 

I tested it with old appvols as well as newly created.  Even tried the 2.17 agent with no change in behavior.  Anyone else notice their cpu usage spike after going with 2.16+?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alrighty, i got some traction with my SR on this issue.  While it isn't perfect, there is a bit of a work around that vmware has provided.

What they suggested:

Edit the Snapvol.cfg by creating a blank app stack and attach the app stack to user or machines to verify
- Or Try updating an existing App Stack with the below config

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx

include_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppReadiness

This does appear to work.  You don't have to do it to every appstack, from my understanding as long as this change has been made to one of the app stacks being applied it will be applied to all.  In my testing this has resolved the issue, hopefully they can update their template.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sabian0309

I thought we were alone in this issue! We have had an SR open with AppVolumes support since 5/10/2019 for this same issue. Can confirm its happening with both the 2.16 or 2.17 agents. We upgraded the servers and agents from 2.14.2 as well to 2.16 and this is when we noticed it started. We have since been using the 2.15 agent as a workaround.

It seems random because just a few weeks ago we were able to do an upgrade from the 2.15 to 2.16 agent on some of our master images and on our UAT or GPU desktop pools we were not seeing the issue so we were going to deploy it to our production pools and immediately after recomposing we saw it go nuts again, so we recomposed back.

Windows 10 1803 Linked clones here. You also on linked clones?

0 Kudos
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are running 1803 instant clones.  We tried using the 2.17 agent and it didn't resolve the issue.  I guess we could of rolled back to 2.15 however we created an executable of a ps1 script to add windows.immersivecontrolpanel appx package at login through UEM which resolved the settings not launching. 

Sorry you're having the issue as well, but I'm glad I'm not the only one :smileysilly:.

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

we created an executable of a ps1 script to add windows.immersivecontrolpanel appx package at login through UEM which resolved the settings not launching.

What do you mean by the settings not launching?

0 Kudos
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To resolve the issue I disabled the app readiness service.  Which did the trick, but then if someone tried to click the cog off the start menu nothing would happen.  Somehow having that service disabled broke the settings metro app.  We found that if you right-clicked and selected personalize it would work for the session (probably a bit different as you're using linked clones).  However that wasn't a great work around for a lot of our users, so we implemented redeploying the appx package for it.

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We're having the same issue in our environment as well with 2.16 & 2.17.

In the meantime, I wrote a PowerShell script to stop the app readiness service 15 minutes after the logon process finishes.  This way the service can do it's thing without breaking anything for the users but then stops the CPU spikes.

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hermanc01

Did you just set up a Scheduled Task on the Master Image to run the script 15 minutes after any user logon?

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep that's exactly what I did.  I had it run as the SYSTEM account and delayed it to run after 15 minutes.

Here's the following script I used.  I added a check to exclude it from stopping the services if I logged into the provisioning VM as our provisioning account too.

$services = "AppReadiness", "AppXSvc"

if ( (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Process -Filter 'Name="explorer.exe"').GetOwner().User -ne "OurProvisioningAccount" )

{

foreach ( $service in $services )

{

if ( Get-Service -Name $service -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue )

{

Stop-Service $service -Force

}

}

}

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that Windows 10 uses that service to check and see if there are updates on Modern Apps available in the store every time a user logs in, not 100% sure though.

We have decided to remove the Windows Store modern app from our GI. If you don't need that it might be worth a shot. If you have a lot of modern apps users need in your environment it might not be feasible to go that route.

0 Kudos
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alrighty, i got some traction with my SR on this issue.  While it isn't perfect, there is a bit of a work around that vmware has provided.

What they suggested:

Edit the Snapvol.cfg by creating a blank app stack and attach the app stack to user or machines to verify
- Or Try updating an existing App Stack with the below config

include_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppReadiness

This does appear to work.  You don't have to do it to every appstack, from my understanding as long as this change has been made to one of the app stacks being applied it will be applied to all.  In my testing this has resolved the issue, hopefully they can update their template.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Doesn't it depend on the order of the appstacks being attached, the last one winning, I remember having to do a similar fix for office awhile back that similar and we had to do it to all of them. That was 2.10 I think so it may have changed, I stay away from snapvol.cfg changes in general unless support suggests it so I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When i asked (as i really didn't want to go through and modify a ton of apps), i was told it was cumulative.  I'm still asking if this will be patched... as its a hokey work around, but slightly less so than killing off services Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When i asked (as i really didn't want to go through and modify a ton of apps), i was told it was cumulative.  I'm still asking if this will be patched... as its a hokey work around, but slightly less so than killing off services .

To my knowledge all snapvol.cfg's of the appstacks are being merged together (as sabian says here) and if you have 1 appstack that every user gets it would be enough to change the snapvol.cfg on that one appstack.

Regarding the order in which you assign appstacks. I believe (not 100% sure) that indeed the last one assigned is being attached the last and thus "winning" in regards of applications installed within an appstack. Let's say one appstack has Chrome 50 and the other Chrome 60 (yes I know, very old but just for the reference Smiley Happy Smiley Happy) the one that is being assigned last will win because both applications are in the same location.

0 Kudos
cjtwestwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This workaround hasn't worked for me. I added the following to my snapvol.cfg in my writable app volume but it doesn't appear to have had an effect. The svchost process associated with the AppReadiness service still uses a consistent 30% CPU.

I submitted a case with VMware last week but they have not yet reached out to me.

SAMPLE SNAPVOL.CFG:

################################################################

# Registry exclusions

################################################################

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\VolumeInfoCache

os=64

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Search\VolumeInfoCache

os=any

# https://communities.vmware.com/thread/616037

################################################################# Registry exclusions################################################################
exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\VolumeInfoCache
os=64exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Search\VolumeInfoCacheos=any
# https://communities.vmware.com/thread/616037exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi...

0 Kudos
Moltron83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone had success in resolving the root cause of this?  I seem to have the same problem, running on VMware 6.7 U3, Appvol 2.17 with full writables, and Windows 10 End 1903.  App readiness logs show a lot of things happening over and over again, like theres a loop.  I've put a bandaid on this by using the script to stop the services after login, but we're now noticing that some things like the calculator stop working now.  I'm thinking its because the service is stopped.  Maybe I'm stopping it too early?  I'd like to have it just fixed without having to run the script.

0 Kudos