VMware Horizon Community
garydawkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyway to automate assignments in 4.x?

There is an API for 2.x app volumes, and with the new App Volume Tools you can get something working to automate app volume captures, but is there anyway to automate the app volume assignments in app volumes 4.x? 

Thanks, 

Gary Dawkins

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The App Volumes API is just not public for 4.x yet.  You can see the API endpoints by using browser developer tools. This will show you how to automate creation of an Assignment.  Create a new assignment in the UI and watch the developer tools.  This API is not supported, but this would be a way to automate the assignments.  That is how I built the entitlement sync Fling.

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead

View solution in original post

chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also, make sure to look at the payloads that are expected.  Some are query string, and some are JSON body

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.52.59 PM.png

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
11 Replies
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The AppVol Fling tool.

https://flings.vmware.com/app-volumes-entitlement-sync

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
garydawkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First off, thanks so much for your reply! I'm really stuck here trying to figure out how I can automate the assignment process.

It looks like this tool just syncs existing assignments from one App Volume Manager to another. The only way I could imagine this could work is if I use the app volume 2.x API to automatically create assignments, and then the fling tool to convert them to a 4.x assignment. Is that what you're suggesting, or am I missing some functionality of this tool?

Thanks again, 

Gary Dawkins

0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is your intent with automating assignments? 

0 Kudos
garydawkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is for Continuous Integration automation in dynamic infrastructure. VMs would need to be able to register themselves for specific use cases where even the same user might be assigned multiple projects. Without automation we would need <LOTS> of user accounts to accomplish a simple task of just doing the assignment of an App Volume to a VM.

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The App Volumes API is just not public for 4.x yet.  You can see the API endpoints by using browser developer tools. This will show you how to automate creation of an Assignment.  Create a new assignment in the UI and watch the developer tools.  This API is not supported, but this would be a way to automate the assignments.  That is how I built the entitlement sync Fling.

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Typically I assign a security group to Applications, so you would then only need to automate your add of a user to an AD Group or an OU? 

0 Kudos
garydawkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome! Thanks so much for that tip Chris. I'll use my browser's developer tools to see what the API endpoints are. Thanks again!

Gary Dawkins

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also, make sure to look at the payloads that are expected.  Some are query string, and some are JSON body

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 5.52.59 PM.png

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
Tags (1)
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yep, that would be the easiest way.  Just just assign a group and add/remove users that way through AD automation

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
0 Kudos
garydawkins
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it. I found where the browser shows the request payload information. I'm used to the payload info required since I looked into the app volumes 2.x API trying to get this to work, but I wasn't aware that the developer tools would show me all this info. Thanks again for everything! 

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are welcome!  

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
0 Kudos