VMware Horizon Community
JessieWarsaw
Contributor
Contributor

Acrobat XI with serial key - users getting prompted for licensing

Hello - thanks in advance for any help!!!

I am very new to App Volumes, in fact I am only in the evaluation phase and Acrobat Pro is my first packaged app.

I capture the app as per the instructions.  During the provisioning I open Acrobat and put in a license key before finishing the AppStack.  Trouble is that the end user gets prompted with a licensing prompt on their second or third time opening the application.  They then need admin rights to apply the serial key or worse get stuck in a licensing/registration loop and can't use Acrobat.

We are running Windows 7, Acrobat Pro 11.0.0.7 upgraded to 11.0.0.15 during provisioning and AppVolume 2.10.0.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

In general, AppStack will not capture application customization that goes into user profiles. For the same reason, the license key for Acrobat Pro has not captured.

Please try either of the below options:

1. Create a new installer for Adobe Pro using Adobe customization tool that embeeds the license key into the installer. See here: Installation and setup — Acrobat Customization Wizard DC for Windows

2. Run a batch script on the end user desktops by following this: Provisioning Adobe CS6 with Citrix PVS | Aggroworld

3. Create writable volume for each user (one to one mapping) and allow them to apply license during first launch. The license key gets saved into the writable volume

0 Kudos
Synergent
Contributor
Contributor

We use UEM to capture all the Adobe settings. Once the package is edited using the Adobe customization tool you can create an appstack just by running setup and saving the appstack, then use UEM Profiler to capture all the setting files and paths.

We are not being prompted for registration or serial.

We did not use writable volumes or run any batch scripts for this to be successful.

Everything is being done via UEM.

Just thought I'd share a different way that was successful.

Ward

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Allthough I do agree with both of you bottom line is that Appstacks will never take any personalisation into an appstack.

Because OP is just getting started it might be good to inform about this. Any setting being inserted or applied into the HKCU registry hyve or the %APPDATA% folder will not be added into the Appstack. There are multiple ways of doing this. You can use any profile management tool for it (being UEM, Appsense, Roaming profiles, Mandatory profiles, writable volumes, whichever suites your needs) to register and insert personal settings, it's all up to you. My guess is everyone will have an opinion of it's own. I'm a keen supporter of writable volumes though Smiley Happy Smiley Happy...

The other way of doing this is by adding settings to an application during logon. This can also be done by UEM, but also using GPO's (which we tend to do) or using the batch files in the appstacks. Yet again, it's all up to you.

It could well be though that licensing is added into the HKLM or Programdata folder, if this is the case normally activation of the application should be added into the appstack, no need to do anything else.

0 Kudos