VMware Horizon Community
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AV 2.13.1: Can no longer see C:\SnapVolumesTemp after updating to 2.13.1

No longer able to see C:\SnapVolumesTemp using File Explorer. Am able to use direct path.

Wondering if this is by design or if it's symptomatic of something else.

Thanks.

29 Replies
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's the experience I was hoping for when we started on this journey. We've torn the environment down and stood it up fresh 3 separate times. Each time running into new issues. We've brought in consultants, spent countless hours with vmware support, upgraded, downgraded, whatever they've asked us to do, and each time we run into a showstopper. Keep in mind this is in a very high-end environment. Storage, network, hosts, etc. are all top of the line.

For our business, the persona management portion of this is a showstopper. Our users currently all have their own full clone. My one requirement for moving from full clones to linked clones is that it has to be "seamless". The users cannot know that anything has been changed. So to have random things (even if they might seem insignificant to other companies) regularly breaking isn't acceptable.

With this current issue, every single time a user opens firefox they get a different experience. Sometimes it works, sometimes they just get a white page, sometimes they get an error, sometimes all their plugins stop working. It's because of the location of the firefox profile on the writable volume, and as far as I can tell it's because of this issue being discussed.

fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disable the hook injection that was introduced with 2.13.

It's the same reason chrome doesn't work.

It's under the SVDriver registry  if i recall; if it's not check SVservice.

rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We don't have any issues with chrome. Can you link to more info on the hook injection? I didn't find anything doing a quick google search.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's undocumented. I disabled it entirely because it seemed to have slowed everything down.

There's a thread around here somewhere about hook injection white list and Chrome. The issue you described about Firefox is reminiscent of the issue I had with Chrome on 2.13.1. Obviously I have no idea about your platform so take it for what it's worth.

pastedImage_3.png

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just wanna chime in with the discussion. We are using Appvolumes for about 3 years now and started working with in in Cloudvolumes version 1.8.

We started with appstacks only and after a while started using writables.

We have had our share of interesting bugs along the way.

As fdrietatns says I really like the product and the ease of use. That has always been it's top selling point. But fact of the matter is that it is easy to learn hard to master. If you don;t knwo what is going on and what the application is actually doing it is quite hard to get a grip on it. I do believe that version 2.13 is quite stable and quick (mostly due to reverse_replicate adjustment). But as with every product, you win some you lose some. The biggest issues we are having is mostly with writable volumes. From time to time we need to rest it back but have implemented UEM to at least save basic configuration for users, this works quite well.

If you are trying to merge from persona to Appvolumes without losing data and everything needs to always work 100% I do believe you should not try to go to Appvolumse. There will always be something that will not work. Because the writable has a local profile it is hard to migrate personal data. Only option here would be UEM, you could give that a try?

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

2.13.3 which includes the visibility of the SnapVolumesTemp folder is in the final stages of release and will be available shortly.  Thank you for your patience on this.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. I disabled it, but didn't make a difference for my issue.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

2.13.3 is out and got this issue fixed. Please upgrade.

fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks!

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue originally reported is still present in 2.13.3, will start a new thread.

pastedImage_0.png