VMware Horizon Community
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AV 2.13.1: Can no longer see C:\SnapVolumesTemp after updating to 2.13.1

No longer able to see C:\SnapVolumesTemp using File Explorer. Am able to use direct path.

Wondering if this is by design or if it's symptomatic of something else.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We discovered that this is an issue in App Volumes 2.13.1 and App Volumes 2.13.2, we are working on a fix and try to solve this with App Volumes 2.13.3

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That folder is hidden and shouldn't be visible in file explorer. That is the default behavior.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry I should have been more clear,

With the relevant options enabled ( show hidden, show system) the folder is still not visible; whereas, it use to be visible on 2.12.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ahh, gotcha.

You can no longer do that to see it in 2.13. I checked my environment to verify.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I need to restore this functionality.

How do i re-enabling the showing of c:\snapvolumestemp? It's beginning to cause some issues.

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We discovered that this is an issue in App Volumes 2.13.1 and App Volumes 2.13.2, we are working on a fix and try to solve this with App Volumes 2.13.3

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I'm assuming no workaround at present?

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! I'll give it a whirl!

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I tested it a little and it broke some of my appstacks. I'd advise against it.

Open up a ticket with support and see if you can get a hotfix for it when its released.

0 Kudos
SAsselin007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The structure is still accessible at a lower level (subfolders). The issue is that some applications need access to that level directly and as Raymond mentioned, in 2.13.1 and 2.13.2, that is no longer accessible.

We are aware of the issue and we are working on a fix in an upcoming release. No release date for that version yet but will keep this community post updated as soon as we have more info.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appreciate the continued updates.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that this may also impact the deletion of files at the guest level.

I can create a file but if i try to delete it at the location in which i created it I am prompted for Admin Credentials.

If i browse to C:\SnapVolumesTemp\Mountpoints\[profile disk]\SVROOT\[location of folder] I can delete it no problem.

I will need to do a roll back if I can't get an ETA on 2.13.3.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Additional info on the scope of impact:

Can't UNC into C$\Snapvolumestemp

Copying files to user's desktop results in the following:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whats the impact of running agent version 2.12.1 with console version 2.13.1?

I'm in testing with it now, seems fine. Issues are gone but may not have full breadth on what the impact would be at scale.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, fdrietatns.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide a specific ETA at this time as the release vehicle for this issue is still being evaluated.  Please contact VMware Support to get more urgent help with this issue.

(edited) This issue is resolved in App Volumes 2.13.3 and is now available for download. Please see docs.vmware.com...ease-Notes.html for more details.

Thank you!

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you had any issues running with this setup?

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any updates on a patch or workaround for this? This seems like another big bug for App Volumes.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The work around is to use an older agent version.

I went  to 2.12.1 and then had issues with zone identifier data.

I had to go back to 2.12.0 which is our last stable version. All is well so far on 2.12.0 agent and 2.13.1 Console.

I'm probably just going to go back to 2.12.0 since all of the compelling reasons to use 2.13 (write volume protection, enhanced office virtualization,)  in the first place don't seem to actually work.

maintenance release 2.13.3 will fix the sym link issues and recycle bin issues with 2.13.1 and .2 but not ETA is given. Maybe end of Q1.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK I'll give it a try. Not too optimistic. We've run into major bugs with pretty much every previous version, which has prevented us from rolling App Volumes out to our production environment. It's been stuck in a test environment for about a year and a half. So I'm thinking we may be reintroducing some old bugs to get rid of this current one.

On a separate note, is there anyone here that has been successfully running App Volumes for at least a year? Our vmware reps and support keep telling us that our issues are unusual and that they work with tons of companies that are really happy with the product, but seems like nearly everyone that I talk to has had at least a few nightmare issues with App Volumes. Issues like this one make me wonder how stable the product is over any time period. We've been considering scrapping the project for a while and just sticking with full clones.

fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue described in this discussion is not a showstopper by any means. It only impacts the persona management portion of AppVolumes and to that end it is not a critical impact.

I've been running this in production space since for a year and a half and have had zero significant issues. It's not perfect but it's pretty close and is stellar at what it does. This has been the best product I've worked with for both application layering and persona management.

It couldn't be any simpler to stand up and deploy. The product documentation is only 62 pages; you really only need about half that.

I would recommend that you tear down whatever you have and deploy a fresh 2.12.0 build. 2.12.0 has been our best experience.

0 Kudos