VMware Horizon Community
javier_roe
Contributor
Contributor

AV 2.11 - Error deleting files from desktop / creating some type of files

Hi everyone:

We recently upgraded to Horizon 7.0.1 and AppVolumes 2.11

And... voilá!

FIRST THING. When I have my writable attached and I try to delete any file from the windows desktop, the message "Item Not Found Could not find this item. Verify this item's location and try again." appears

AND... if after that, you press F5... the file is gone! (And is not in the recycle bin).

This just occurs in the desktop folder. In any other folder the behavior is normal.

Error 1.PNG

SECOND THING

If I do right click -> New text file (or bitmap file, but not all options, just some), Windows says ""New document.txt" cannot be created. The system cannot find the file specified"

I tried:

- New VM in  a pool with the new AV 2.11 agent (of course, my first guess)

- A new writable (from a AV 2.11 template)... same result.

- New App Stacks (AV 2.11 template)... same result

Error 2.PNG

BUT... when I disabled my writable, everything goes fine... so... I think this is a bug from 2.11 version...

Any thoughts..?

18 Replies
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes, I've been seeing this and describe it more in a thread I started called 'Strange Windows Behaviour'.

VMware have advised us there will be a patch for this due today (26th July, released by the U.S. overnight).  Just checked with my colleagues and nothing available yet.

We only see the behaviour if we have one or more appstacks attached.  No appstacks, no problem.  We have no writeable volumes, although did create a few a while back and then disabled them all as we had issues.

We're running 2.11 and Horizon 6.2.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
javier_roe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your answer, that was a ray of light in this "Horizon" darkness!!

Let's wait then... where will be the patch available to download?

Regards,

Javier

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you guys get this sorted out? I'm setting up a new environment and running into this. Was a patch released? I haven't seen anything.

0 Kudos
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had access to an updated svdriver.sys and confirmed this odd behaviour was sorted, but we've not seen any news of an official patch yet.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! I've got a SR open so gonna see if I can get that updated svdriver.sys.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well VMWare support is of course wanting to dig through all of the logs before suggesting any fix or giving anything out, which I understand. Any chance you could share that updated svdriver.sys file on dropbox or something? This is for a test environment so I don't have any reservations around trying it out. Would be nice to start working with something while support digs through logs.

0 Kudos
javier_roe
Contributor
Contributor

Hello rdonohue,

This is the file that VMware support sent to me

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2vBtJmuaxyiZHkwSkUyZE5IRzA

Please use it at your own risk, in a test enviroment, blablabla, etc etc

Regards!

Javier

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You = My Hero

rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well bummer. Doesn't appear to be working for me. Anything special you had to do? I just replaced the svdriver.sys file in the "program files (x86)\cloudvolumes\agent directory.

0 Kudos
javier_roe
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry rdonohue, I didn't explain that

You must replace the file in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS

Regards,

Javier

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah ok that makes more sense. I wasn't sure if there was something that would load it from there. My next step was to just replace it in the installer iso and try a reinstall. I'm guessing that would have worked too. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I asked VMware support about this file (I am having the same issue) and they made it very clear not to use it in production.  apparently they are aware of the bug and do not have an ETA on a fix.

0 Kudos
danielkrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The support told me that a new appvolume version will be released in a few weeks.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's good to hear. I tested out the svdriver.sys file and it fixed the issue but created more problems for me than it fixed. After replacing it I couldn't get the start menu, or settings app to work at all. Also couldn't right click any icons in the taskbar. Waiting for an update from support and keeping an eye on the vmware downloads to see when a new version shows up.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I quick update after working with vmware support. They confirmed that there is a patch in the works. It is out of beta and going through some additional testing. They were able to provide a workaround. They had me uninstall the 2.11 agent and install the 2.10 agent. Leave the management console on 2.11. This fixed it for me!

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bump

is this still the workaround? Will 2.12 fix it?

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2.12 fixed all the issues I was having. Working well on Windows 10 ltsb anniversary update. Did have to up View to 7.0.2 for compatibility as well.

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, thanks!

Gonna upgrade tonight.

0 Kudos