VMware Horizon Community
RickBoyett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A little AppVolume license issue on XenApp servers..

Hi fellas,

I think this is just a little issue but I couldn't find a documented answer.

I have a single XenApp server in my lab.  I have assigned an AppVolume to it but it will not attach.  The log has the following entry:

"Skipping volumes for "Computer <domain\hostname$>": Applied license does not allow volume"...

When I look at the Computers tab under directory, I see the following entry:

Attach Own Volumes:No, attachment of volumes assigned to Server computers is restricted by the applied license.

I have appvolumes assigned and attached to two RDSH hosts with no issues.  The only issue is with the XenApp Server.  When I look at my licensing information, I see this:

VMware App Volumes v2.7 Production License (VMware_App_Volumes_v270_EULA_enforced_production_license.key)

Users:50000 (1 used)

Terminal Users:50000 (1 used)

Desktops:50000 (0 used)

Servers:N/A (0 used)

Max Attachments Per User:No limit

Writable Volumes:Enabled

License Mode:Professional

Attach User Volumes:To Desktops and Servers

Issued:Apr 21 2015

Valid After:Apr 21 2015

Valid Until:Perpetual

Do I need different licensing or is something else wrong here?  Thanks in advance.. 

========================================================================= Rick Boyett HP Enterprise Services Infrastructure Modernization (IMOD) VMware VCP 2, 3, 4 VMware VCAP-DCA4
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RickBoyett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's been a while since I've been able to look back at this but I have more information.  Looking at the XenApp servers configuration in App Volumes, I see that the server isn't being licensed as a Terminal Server but as a 'Server'. As you can see from my previous entry, I have no Server licenses.  I don't think VMware is even issuing Server licenses for internal reasons. 

I have XenApp installed and running on the server, so why is this not being recognized as a terminal server.  I'm not a XenApp guy so is this a misconfiguration from my Citrix admin?  Any thoughts as to where I should start looking?

Thanks,

xenapp server.png

========================================================================= Rick Boyett HP Enterprise Services Infrastructure Modernization (IMOD) VMware VCP 2, 3, 4 VMware VCAP-DCA4
0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RickBoyett,

maybe you have installed the wrong agent.

My understanding is that the Server in the licensing is referred to a use case where you intend to deploy Windows Server OS for VDI. (to avoid Microsoft VDA for example)

If you intend to use a server as a Session Host (like RDSH or XenApp) there is a whole different agent that will probably pass a different set of information to the App Volumes Manager. (look for System Requirements in the User Guide)

I am very curious about your tests because I intended to do the same but the lack of time is pushing me to delay and delay... my use case would be for Writable Volumes for XenApp users (use case would be for Office 365 Outlook cache mode); if you manage to solve your problem like I suggested do you mind letting me know if Writable Volumes work with XenApp?

I honestly don't even know if Writable Volumes are supported on RDSH/XenApp...

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Writable volumes are not supported on RDSH/Citrix environments.

for more info see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-app-volumes-citrix-xenapp.pdf

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't bother with Writable Volumes on XenApp, I found this:

"App Volumes writable volumes are not pertinent to a XenApp implementation. A writable volume is created

solely for use in a one-to-one, rather than one-to-many, environment—that is, a writable volume is assigned

to only one user, whereas an AppStack can be assigned to many XenApp servers. XenApp in turn assigns the

AppStack-stored applications to many users."

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌Is rds role installed?

0 Kudos