VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

4.1 - assigning 2 diff Pckg's to One Application ?

Apologies for the newb question .

We are on 2.18 atm.

We are moving from LTSB/C to Enterprise - thus we are recreating every Layer / appstack in 4.1 .

In order to consolidate and limit # of attached drives we have AppStacks that combine multiple programs into one Layer .

For example .

an "Everyone" appstack... this has 4 apps.. Chrome - PDF xchange - financial app etc. 

EVeryone in the Co gets this .. hence the name .

Now to bring that to 4.x .

My question is :

Can i not HAve One Application called EVeryone .. and assign Different Multiple PAckages to said Application ?

Using 'Current' doesnt work..as it appears to me i can only have one Current PAckage in an Application ( which MAKES SENSE of course ) .

I tried 'Assignment Type 'Package'... that Assigns our AD group for this to just ONE package . 

I want one Application to dish out 4 Different PAckages .. ( e.g. Chrome / PDF software ..etc. ) .

Is there no way to do that ?

Also the question is would anyone WANT to do that ?...

In 2.18 we created one Appstack and installed 4 items in that one app stack .

Appears in 4.x we might have to create One Application.. One Package.. and install all 4 apps in said package ?

I presume EAch Package appears to be a separate VMDK..

Thus could one say you could never Have Two Packages in an Application assigned at the same time ?

Sorry for the newb questions .

thanks much .

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at version 4 of Appvolumes you need to rethink in how you would like to add applications.

Why are you putting 4 applications in one appstack? We did this because otherwise logon would be very slow and there was a suggested limitation of 10 appstacks per machine. So it was completely viable to put multiple application into one appstack, even better this was best practice.

Now to version 4. When looking at attachment you can add about 60 appstacks (15 disks per SCSI controller, 4 SCSI controllers on a VDI), is that something i would do? No not really but it is possible.

Looking at login times with APpvolumes 4 we see that having about 15 appstacks there login is just as quick as about 5 to 6 appstacks in version 2. So the need to create 1 appstack with multiple applications is no longer needed per se. So you have the option to create an "Appstack" (it is called package in 4) for every application. I would suggest doing so as it will make your live a lot easier because no need to update 1 appstack with multiple application and being afraid of messing it up the entire appstack for that 1 applications.

That being said you can still add multiple application int 1 application/package in version 4. This still works and you can still fiddle around with assignments. The current option is there to make your live a bit easier because you can very quickly update an application, just set it to current. You also have the option to assign an older or newer version to a specific subset of users by assigning to a package and not the current marker.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
VirtualSpence
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

With App Volumes 4 you can create an application which contains multiple packages.

Package = AppStack (2.x) = VMDK

Programs are the actual bits that get installed to a package during the packaging process.

When you create an assignment at the application level, you can only assign one of the packages contained in it. The idea is to create a workflow which allows you to manage the lifecycle of a particular piece of software more easily. Take this example for managing the lifecycle of Notepad++ :

1.png

This is the preferred workflow to manage application lifecycle. However, you can certainly create packages containing multiple programs like this:

2.png

For a lot more detail about what's new in App Volumes 4, check out this interactive demo: DEMO: App Volumes 4.0 Feature Review | Demo

Josh Spencer Staff Architect – Technical Marketing End User Computing, VMware, Inc.
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at version 4 of Appvolumes you need to rethink in how you would like to add applications.

Why are you putting 4 applications in one appstack? We did this because otherwise logon would be very slow and there was a suggested limitation of 10 appstacks per machine. So it was completely viable to put multiple application into one appstack, even better this was best practice.

Now to version 4. When looking at attachment you can add about 60 appstacks (15 disks per SCSI controller, 4 SCSI controllers on a VDI), is that something i would do? No not really but it is possible.

Looking at login times with APpvolumes 4 we see that having about 15 appstacks there login is just as quick as about 5 to 6 appstacks in version 2. So the need to create 1 appstack with multiple applications is no longer needed per se. So you have the option to create an "Appstack" (it is called package in 4) for every application. I would suggest doing so as it will make your live a lot easier because no need to update 1 appstack with multiple application and being afraid of messing it up the entire appstack for that 1 applications.

That being said you can still add multiple application int 1 application/package in version 4. This still works and you can still fiddle around with assignments. The current option is there to make your live a bit easier because you can very quickly update an application, just set it to current. You also have the option to assign an older or newer version to a specific subset of users by assigning to a package and not the current marker.

Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Everyone .

Sounds like we will try splitting up our 'EVeryone' grp into individual Applications .  As it sounds like 4.1 is more effecient w/ handling attached vmdk's and hopefully wont inc login time as much as 2-18 did .

thanks for the assistance .

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad you are exploring the possibilities with App Volumes assignments.  Applications in your inventory should represent the application (irrespective of version) that you want to the deliver to your users.  The assignment is how you will associate users to their apps.  The "current" marker gives you more control and flexibility to mark a particular package as current and abstract that assignment.  For example, in an application called Adobe Reader you might have two versions each in its own package and marker Adobe Reader DC as "current" with the marker.

Next if your intent is to deliver Adobe Reader to everyone, then you can assign the "current" package (Adobe Reader DC in the example) to "Domain Users."  Furthermore, you can browse to the Directory tab, find "Domain Users" under groups, and assign multiple applications at a time.

Finally, if you would like to the "current" package and perhaps give a couple users an old retired version, then you can make specific package assignments for those users and groups as needed.  In our example case, if Joe has an assignment to a specific package like Adobe Reader XI, it will deliver that package instead of the Adobe Reader DC which is assigned to everyone via the current marker.

Hope this helps explain in a little more detail about our assignment model and how it can help you manage day-2 assignment.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
jyttr54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

¿No puedo tener una aplicación llamada EVeryone ... y asignar diferentes paquetes múltiples a dicha aplicación?
El uso de "Actual" no funciona ... como me parece, solo puedo tener un paquete actual en una aplicación (lo que TIENE SENTIDO, por supuesto).
Probé 'Paquete de tipo de asignación' ... que asigna nuestro grupo de AD para esto a solo UN paquete.
Quiero que una aplicación distribuya 4 paquetes diferentes ... (por ejemplo, software Chrome / PDF ... etc.).
¿No hay forma de hacer eso? https://convertidor.live/convertidor-mp3/

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I apologize for needing to reply in English as my Spanish is less than ideal and could lead to further confusion.  I'm attaching a screenshot where you can see multiple applications assigned to "Domain Users" which is effectively everyone.  Additionally you could create your own group for Everyone if you see a need, such as "All Employees."

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 4.46.48 PM.png

You will have to assign "Domain Users" from one application first.  Once that is done, you can use Directory -> Groups to add your other applications such as Chrome, a PDF reader, etc.

As VirtualSpence​ indicated earlier, you may also just capture the apps together in one package and assign to Domain Users, if you want to manage it as one "application" in App Volumes.

Hope this helps further clarify how you can assign multiple applications to everyone (or Domain Users).

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So if we want to add more than 15, does that mean we need to add more SCSI controllers?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late response. Yes, you would need to add an extra SCSI controller.

If you do not add that and want to add more than 15 appstacks it won't attach any appstack (not even the previous 14 or 15 ones) and you will receive an error in vcenter stating that adding a SCSI adapter is not allowed in the current state (which is the machine is turned on, then you can't add the SCSI adapter).

0 Kudos