I have tested vmware-server for the last days and noticed some minor and major bugs (or perhaps user errors of myself)
I'll list them here and would be thankfull if you share your experience:
1) In the WebUI it shows: Prozessor: 1 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz in VIC it shows Processor: 2x CPU 2,133Ghz</span>. This is only a minor item and I think it doesn't matter, perhaps the webinterface doesn't notice the dual cores.
2) For example in the line "datastores", if there is more data as fits in this line, there is a difference between IE7 and Firefox. IE7 shows a horizontal bar which can be scrolled, Firefox doesn't. (In the picture you see the Gb for "Gigabyte", cut of to G)
3) If I say fullscreen in Firefox, it counts 3 seconds and after this nothing happens: host-os WinXP, guest-os Ubuntu 7.10, Firefox 18.104.22.168! (1024x768 - host and guest) On IE7 I get a fullscreen as wanted.
4) removing a datastore or a vm in the webui, removes it actually, but not from the screen. The line is still there until I log off and log on again. Problem exists on IE 7 and Mozilla. (Is there a "hidden" refresh button, am I missing something)
5) I thought I have to convert my 1.0.4-vm to 2.0, but my old vm still works, so I assume that they are still compatible. Just wanted to mention that, because I didn't think of that.
6) Administration and "Virtual Machine" in the web-ui doesn't look like a menu. It is said sometimes before in different threads, just wanted to mention it. It's not intuitive and user friendly.
7) A major problem: On my computer running vmware-server, I dind't have enough harddiskspace and dind't want to partition a new, so I let my VMs on my old pc and made a network connection to my datastore (a windows shared folder). I know that's not optimal for performance, but for first setup and tests it's not a big problem. Whatsoever I added a datastore (option CIFS, other computer's ip, shared folder, user name and password), afterwards I added my 1.0.4 ubuntu-vm, started it, works well. I restart my computer containing vm-server (not my "datastore-computer"), reconnecting showed me the picture I append: It shows me a capacity on my datastore of more than 3 billion gigabyte, which wouldn't be my biggest problem, my ubuntu-vm is also shown as inaccessible and unknown. If I click on it, it says the server encountered a problem and I'm automatically logged off. After I remove the VM, remove the datastore, add the datastore, add the vm it works well until I restart the vm-computer again. This problem is not web-specific, it occurs also with VIC (except that vic doesn't cut me off, if there is a problem) Is there a known problem with this, did you experience something similar?
8) the mouse in the ubuntu 7.10 moves slowly, I encountered similar on virtual pc (but here even the installation didn't work correctly, so I came back to vmware), is there a special trick for vmware (or for ubuntu 7.10), is this normal?
I'm marking this as a question because of the last two points.
restart.jpg 72.1 K