1 person found this helpful
Easier than that, click the task bar then click back into the field you want edit. It seems keyboard input is re-enabled once the browser application gets focus again.
Same/Another workaround is to click into the address or search field of the browser and than back into the flash overlay. With that you get the focus back and can type into the fields.
I also encountered this same issue when accessing my VCSA 126.96.36.19900 through the vSphere (Flash) web client through 64-bit FireFox 64.0
I simply needed to rename the VMs visible name in the VM inventory and when accessing the flash client I couldn't erase/modify the field using my keyboard, it's like any key I hit did not register or do anything. I have encountered this before in other fields, finally decided to look into it.
I was able to modify the VM names through the HTML5 vSphere Web client. When accessing the vCenter it does say that the HTML5 client has "partial functionality" I am not sure what can/can't be seen/done; however, using the HTML5 client may be a workaround for those using vCenter 6.5 or later. This was my first time accessing the HTML5 client and I might consider switching to using it primarily.
Just to confirm, the HTML5 client does work without exhibiting this issue. I can also confirm the issue still occurs for me with 64bit Firefox and a 64bit Flash plugin. My current workaround is to have 64 bit Firefox for all my normal usage, and a separate install of Firefox Developer Edition (32-bit) to load the vSphere pages.
Also, there has been no traction on the Firefox bugzilla entry since my comment 7 months ago, so workarounds will probably be the only solution until the Flash client is gone.
I workarounded the issue : If you click on lego brick at the left of the url addr
and allow adobe flash to run, you retrieve the working keyboard.
In my case, I couldn't use keyboard but mouse was working (eg to increase vm disk size)
Firefox does not seem to remember the "allow" although I checked to remind it ...
Worked for me.
This actually works !
it's an error that hasn't been solved even in version 6.5
When it happens, I open the notepad and write some random letters, so I go back to writing on the web interface and it works.
The easiest way to deal with this it to switch to another tab in the web browser, and then switch back.
It appears that tab switching fixes the issue 100% of the time.
Yeah, it's annoying.