1 person found this helpful
I think that youre missing a "vCenter Standard" license which is needed to host an "unlimited" number of ESXi Hosts. Your HCI Kit Essentials only contains a vCenter Essentials which is limited to 3 Hosts because is a bundle of normal Essentials+ and vSAN Std.
Please check page 7.
That makes sense, I was focussing on VMs and hosts, not on ESXi installs. Do you (or anyone else) have any input on the experience with this kind of setup ?
Iam a VMware Partner.
We have customers with ROBO (the normal one and not the HCI Robo). Every customer have one HQ with normal vSphere licensing which means vCenter Standard and ESXi. This can be an Accelerator Kit or normal single licensing or a combination of both because the upgrade path of a Ess+ is a Accel. Kit.
If there is something different in the HCI world... i dont know. I have scrolled through my SKU list and read the descriptions and found nothing.
It makes sense that we need the HCI Kit ROBO Standard as well as the HCI Kit Standard for our current plan. Would you recommend we get the Acceleration Kit for this setup ? I'm unaware of the license costs at the moment so unsure what would be the most cost-effective.
I got this info from the vmware-vsan-67-licensing-guide.pdf (june 2019):
VMware HCI Kits
New licensing and packaging options were introduced with vSAN. VMware HCI Kit bundles simplify the purchase of vSphere and vSAN licenses. There are five data center kits with per-CPU licensing, three remote office branch office kits with per-VM licensing, and one HCI Acceleration Kit for distributed IT use cases (emphasis and markup mine, for easy reading):
- VMware HCI Kit Essentials (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Essentials plus and vSAN Standard
- VMware HCI Kit Standard (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Standard and vSAN Standard
- VMware HCI Kit Advanced (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Enterprise Plus and vSAN Advanced
- VMware HCI Kit Enterprise (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Enterprise Plus and vSAN Enterprise
- VMware HCI Kit with Operations Management (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Enterprise Plus, vSAN Enterprise, and vROPs Advanced
- VMware HCI Kit ROBO Standard (per-VM) that includes vSphere ROBO Standard and vSAN ROBO Standard
- VMware HCI Kit ROBO Advanced (per-VM) that includes vSphere ROBO Advanced and vSAN ROBO Advanced
- VMware HCI Kit ROBO Enterprise (per-VM) that includes vSphere ROBO Advanced and vSAN ROBO Enterprise
- VMware Acceleration Kit (per-CPU) that includes vSphere Standard and vSAN Standard with a ~25% inherent discount on list price, limited to 3 single CPU nodes per cluster & 1 cluster per authorized location; includes no upgrades