1. Check if ESXI_2 hostname and IP address resolving successfully.
2. Check the Vmotion port settings are configured correctly on ESXI_2 as per below recommendation.
-- Ensure that virtual machines have access to the same subnets on source and destination hosts.
-- If you are using standard switches for networking, ensure that the network labels used for virtual machine port groups are consistent across hosts.
-- During a migration with vMotion, vCenter Server assigns virtual machines to port groups. Configure hosts for vMotion with shared storage to ensure that virtual machines are accessible to both source and target hosts.
-- If you use vMotion to migrate virtual machines with raw device mapping (RDM) files, ensure that the LUN IDs for RDMs are consistent across all participating hosts.
I have seen such issues where vmkping works fine from source to destination vMotion vmkernel port IP but still vMotion fails with error = "message = "Network address 'hostname.com' is not valid for migration."
To resolve this issue, first validate in hostd.log file of source ESXi host and see the following entries -
If any of the field contains hostname instead of IP address then follow the below steps -
- Login to the ESXi host via ssh
- Run the following commands in order
– cd /etc/vmware/vpxa/
- Locate the <hostIp> YOURHOSTNAME</hostIp> line and modify the hostname to IP address of the host.
- Type Esc followed by :wq!
- Restart the VPXA service , try restarting the host if possible.
Good luck !!