vmware convertor standalone version: 6.0.0-build 2716716
Source Linux server information:
xxxx:~ # cat /etc/issue
Welcome to openSUSE 13.2 "Harlequin" - Kernel \r (\l).
xxxx:~ # uname -a
Linux xxxx 3.16.7-29-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 23 00:46:04 UTC 2015 (6be6a97) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
xxxx:~ # uname -r
xxxx:~ # dmidecode -t system
# dmidecode 2.12
SMBIOS 2.5 present.
Handle 0x0030, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
Product Name: System x3650 M3 -[7945RFR]-
Converting stopped at progress 97% and followed by error and check converter exported logs by attachment:
FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'GrubInstaller::InstallGrub: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh failed with return code: 127, and message: FATAL: kernel too old Error running vmware-updateGrub.sh through chroot into /mnt/p2v-src-root /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh: line 147: /mnt/p2v-src-root:
Is a directory '
Vmware converter release notes have following statements for converter 6.2
- Reconfiguration of Linux VM fails at 97-98%, with message: “Error: Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine” and the status contains “message: FATAL: kernel too old”
Some Linux distributions have unsupported combinations of Linux kernel and grub loader.
Workaround: None. Use supported distributions only.
1 From the error, is it saying that the kenrnel of converter helper is older than source linux system ?
1) check converter helper kernal version: boot a virtual machine from ISO file from compuer on which converter is installed into default location C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone6.0\converter-helper-vm-x64.iso
2) we see that the kernel of converter helper is much older than source linux server. 2.6.38 < 3.16.7
2) can we fix the failed converted linux system by re-install grub with orignal Linux server kernel-version ?
I did following steps but it did not work.
A boot the failed server from a live CD.
B after related file system is mounted and chroot,reinstall the grub2
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
C reboot the vm and vm starts endless circling bettwen "Grub loading" and restarting.
3) the same problem accured and check this aiticle.
4) Same suggestion is posted in Vmware p2v conversion error .