Couple of observations of the new html5 client...
1) you cannot add datastore. you have to use host client for this
2) after datastore migrations summary page for VM shows incorrect datastores, refresh does not help
3) mouse not working in remote console when installing 2012r2 server
4) cant add floppy drive (or remove)
And the first release of the vSphere Web Client with ESXi 5.1 is now 4 or 5 years ago. And it has been constantly developed and improved. Of course there were always new bugs and regressions. That's how it is in the software development of complex programs. And one can argue surely whether it was not already foreseeable that Flash is a dead horse at that time.
But let's be honest. The HTML5 based vSphere client exists now for almost 2 years and meanwhile (at the time of vSphere 6.7) all common features are implemented with very few exceptions. That means that the new vSphere client can be used for at least 95% of all daily work.""
thats a sales pitch if ever I read one, for those at the coal face the thread is entirely legitimate.
we're on all new cisco kit and 6.7 and its still pants.
How do you add a user to administrator group with standalone ESXI-server with host client?
I can create a new user, but cannot find anywhere where to assign it to local admin group.
Ok, found it... although VMware Knowledge Base recommends using vSphere Client, you CAN actually do this with host client.
1) add user go to host -> manage -> Security & users -> users and add user
2) no need to go look for the Roles section, it would be too obvious
3) instead go back to host , click actions, click permissions, and then AGAIN click add user, type the user name you just created and assign it to the whatever group you like.
Now THIS is what I call 'innovative' UI design.
Yes, software development is today everywhere in very low quality state. First, java based webclient is much better than HTML5. In HTML5 there information is much harder to get, compared with java client. Second, standalone client was the best. Only dumbs try to make things in web. Example standalone client was very fast, and where is topology map in web client, its missing at all.