I figured it out. The task scheduler service doesn't actually update the module path variable until it's restarted. So anything launched by it will only have whatever is populated in the system modulepath @ time of start. Installing PowerCLI 6.0R2 AFTER the fact, populates all new sessions, just not anything that was actively running at the time.
I had to reboot the VM for the task scheduler to pick up the new addition to the system modulepath.
This was specifically related to Windows 2008 R2, not sure if newer revisions are affected as well. Anyway, hope this is useful to anyone that might run into the same situation.
This is still there in later Windows versions.
The content is coming from the wininit.exe, which spawns services.exe, which spawns svchost.exe.
It's a fundamental Windows OS concept.
Nice catch btw, I got tripped by this on several occasionsBlog: http://lucd.info | Twitter: @LucD22 | PowerCLI Reference co-author: http://tinyurl.com/hkn4glz