I've been studying for the VCAP-DCA on and off for a few months now and because of the nature of this being a hands on exam I haven't found a whole lot of practice quizzes to help get me ready for the test. I decided to write my own list of questions instead. The questions might not be well worded because I didn't have this idea of creating my own questions from the get go so some of them are just notes that I converted to questions. Anyways, I hope this helps. I haven't taken the test yet to not sure how much these questions relate to it but I've pulled from a lot of resources related to VCAP studying and stuck closely to the Blueprint. If anyone sees any incorrect answers let me know
1. Where do you go to configure vSphere Flash Resource?
a. In the web client, select a host and go to Manage \ Settings \ Virtual Flash \ Virtual Flash Resource Management
2. How do you configure a VM to use vSphere Flash Read Cache?
a. In the web client, Edit Settings of a VM, expand the settings for a hard drive and configure the Virtual Flash Read Cache amount
3. Where do you launch the Orchestrator Client from?
a. Start Menu \ Programs \ VMware \ vCenter Orchestrator Client
4. How would you troubleshoot a workflow in Orchestrator?
a. Run the workflow in Debug Mode
5. How do you export application settings and log files from Orchestrator?
a. In the Workflow Library, go to the Troubleshooting folder to find workflows that can do this
6. How do you add Orchestrator to vCenter after installing it?
a. Open Orchestrator Configuration from the start menu and select vCenter Server \ New vCenter Server Host
b. Enter the vCenter Server name in the Host text box
c. From the Available drop-down menu, select Enabled
7. How do you create a Workflow in Orchestrator?
a. From the Orchestrator Client select Design then Workflows vies
b. Right click a folder and select New Workflow
8. What are the default credentials for Orchestrator?
a. vmware / vmware
9. What is the Orchestrator website?
a. https://[Orchestrator server]:8281
10. After installing Orchestrator, the service doesn’t start. Why is this and how is it repaired?
a. The service doesn’t start automatically by default
b. Open Services.msc and start the service
c. Start Menu \ Programs \ VMware \ vCenter Orchestrator Configuration
d. From the website assign an IP to the Orchestrator server
11. In PowerCLI, how would you map a datastore named Datastore1 to the X: drive?
a. $datastore = Get-Datastore Datastore1
b. New-PSDrive -Location $datastore -Name X -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root ‘\’
12. What PowerCLI command will display the default datastore drives?
13. What are the two default datastore drives?
a. vmstore and vmstores
14. What are the two PowerCLI commands that related to web service access?
a. Get-View and Get-VIObjectByVIView
15. If you need to convert a PowerShell VIObject to a vSphere .NET View Object, what command do you run?
16. What command does the exact opposite thing that Get-View does?
17. Write a PowerCLI command that will disconnect the CD drive for all VMs
a. Get-VM | Get-CDDrive | Set-CDDrive -NoMedia -Confirm:$False
18. What PowerCLI command will get you a list of all environmental variables in use?
a. Get-ChildItem Env:
19. What PowerCLI variable is used to reference the path of the Program File directory?
20. How do you disable Copy and Paste for a VM
a. Edit Settings of a powered off VM and Edit Configuration
b. Add lines for isolation.tools.copy.disable and isolation.tools.paste.disable and give them a value of True
21. How do you configure SSH to timeout after a certain period of time?
a. For each host in the VIC, Advanced Settings, and then UserVars.ESXiShellTimeOut
22. How do you verify the thumbprint on a certificate for a host?
a. Log into the DCUI to get the thumbprint for the certificate and compare it to what you are seeing when logging into the host
23. How do you create a local user on a host that you can use to access SSH?
a. With the vSphere Client, connect directly to the host and go to Users & Groups
b. Create a new User and select “Grant shell access”
24. Where do you find the installs for Dump Collector and Syslog Collector?
a. vCenter Installer. The same installer used for vCenter Server
25. What two log files are commonly the best to review when looking into problems with a host?
a. vmksummary.log and vmkernel.log
26. What command can be used to send a test message to a Syslog server?
a. esxcli system syslog mark --messsage=”Test Message?!?”
27. In SSH, what command do you run to output the Syslog configuration?
a. esxcli system syslog config get
28. In SSH, what do you run to set the Syslog servers IP? Include the command needed to make this change take effect
a. esxcli system syslog config set --loghost [IP Addr]
b. esxcli system syslog reload
29. Where can you configure the default rotation size for Syslog in vCenter?
a. For each host, in the VIC go into Advanced Settings then Syslog \ Global
b. Or in SSH run, esxcli system syslog config set –default-rotate [number]
30. How do you generate a Log Bundle for a Host from a web browser?
31. How do you generate a Log Bundle from SSH and where do you go to find it?
32. How do you generate a Log Bundle from PowerCLI?
a. get-log -bundle -destinationPath c:\Temp
33. In the VIC, how do you perform a search that reports back just servers running Server 2008 R2 and have out of date VMware Tools?
a. Home / Inventory / Search
b. Click Advanced Search
c. Select the category VM Guest OS and criteria “R2” and then add a line for VMware Tools and search for “Out-of-date”
34. How many Tags can be applied to a Category?
a. Depends. When a Category is created it is set to either allow just one or multiple tags
35. When creating a Category what are two things you need to define other than the name?
a. Cardinality (can one or many tags be applied) and Associable Objects (like Folder, Host, Network, VM, etc)
36. How do you assign a Tag to a VM?
a. In the web client, right click on the VM and click Assign Tag
37. How do you generate a log bundle for Update Manager?
a. All Programs \ VMware \ Generate Update Manager log Bundle
38. How do you fill out an answer file for a host?
a. In the VIC go to Host Profiles, click on the host profile, click the Hosts and Clusters tab, right click a host, and choose Update Answer File
39. What does an Answer File do for Host Profiles?
a. Allows you to configure unique settings for each individual host on items that won’t match the Host Profile
40. How do you add a sub-profile in Host Profiles?
a. Right click on one of the folders and choose Add Profile
41. vSphere Replication isn’t allowed for a VM. What might be the cause?
a. VM is using FT
42. How is vSphere Replication managed?
a. Via a web interface found at https://[VR appliance name]:5480
43. What is the website for vSphere Replication?
a. https://[VR appliance name]:5480
44. How is a VM configured for vSphere Replication?
a. Right click the VM and choose Configure Replication
45. What requirements exist for Hot Add?
a. OS must support it, VM hardware version must be at 8, and VMware Tools needs to be installed
46. What is the minimum number of CPUs and RAM you should allocate for a VM running vCenter assuming less than 50 hosts?
a. 2 CPUs and 4 GB
47. For ESXTOP, when would you use Batch mode and when would you use Replay mode?
a. Batch mode outputs something to be viewed in a program like Perfmon while Replay mode lets someone like VMware tech support run the replay in ESXTOP as if they are viewing it interactively
48. What DPM Power Management policies exist and where are they configured?
a. Configure under host \ Configuration \ Power Management \ Properties
b. Levels are High Performance, Balanced, Low power, and Custom
49. At what level in vCenter can you configure DPM alarms at? The vCenter level, cluster level, or host level?
a. Cluster level
50. What must be done to VMs prior to enabling EVC for the hosts they are running on?
a. VMs must be powered off for EVC to be enabled
51. How do you test if a host will wake back up when put to sleep by DPM?
a. Right click the host and choose Enter Standby Mode
b. Once it is in Standby Mode right click and choose Power On
52. How to you configure a host to not partake in DPM?
a. Edit Settings on HA/DRS cluster, vSphere DRS \ Power Management \ Host Options
b. Set host Power Management to Disabled
53. Where can you go to get a breakdown of all reservations for every VM in a cluster?
a. Click on the cluster, Resource Allocation tab, and then click on CPU, Memory, or Storage view
54. What Admission Control Policy does VMware recommend for most environments?
a. Percentage of Cluster Resources
55. When a partition exists can a new host join the partition that isn’t able to communicate with vCenter?
a. No. Only the partition that can talk with vCenter will accept new hosts
56. What isolation responses are available?
a. Leave powered on, Power off, and Shut down
57. According to VMware, what needs to be implemented to properly isolate network traffic?
58. If you have a Management, VM, and vMotion vmkernels and only two NICs, which two do you have share a NIC without violating VMware best practices?
a. Management and VM. vMotion can consume so much bandwidth that it can affect anything else on the same NIC as it
59. Which PVLAN type can there be multiple of? Promiscuous, Community, or Isolated?
60. What SSH command can be used to set a vSwitch named vSwitchTest to use CDP and both listen and advertise?
a. esxcli network vswitch standard set -c both -v vSwitchTest
61. What SSH command would create a standard switch named vSwitchTest?
a. esxcli network vswitch standard add -v vSwitchTest
62. What SSH command will add an uplink name Uplink1 to a standard switch named vSwitchTest?
a. esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=Uplink1 -v vSwitchTest
63. In ESXTOP, what would you look at to judge whether there is a disk latency problem?
64. What command line can be used to list and then set a storage device to use VMW_PSP_FIXED multipathing?
a. esxcli storage nmp device list
b. esxcli storage nmp device set -d [device ID] -P VMW_PSP_FIXED
65. At what level is the Datastore Usage On Disk alarm defined?
a. At the vCenter object level
66. What is another name for Profile Driven Storage?
a. VM Storage Profiles
67. If you set Ingress Burst Size to 102400 kb, is that limit applied to the cumulative traffic on a Switch, Port Group, or a single VM?
a. Single VM
68. Where can you configure a QoS Tag?
a. vDS \ Resource Allocation tab \ Edit an existing Network Resource Pool or create a new one and set the QoS Priority Tag
69. What affect does a QoS Tag have within vCenter?
a. None. The QoS Tag gets passed to downstream physical switches and can have an affect there
70. When a Management Network is getting migrated from a VSS to a VDS and it loses connectivity what happens?
a. After 30 seconds the Management Network automatically rolls back to the VSS
71. Where can the Standard Deviation for DRS be seen?
a. Click the cluster and in the Summary tab look in the vSphere DRS window
72. What does ALUA allow you to do when accessing storage in an Active/Passive array?
a. Allows you to access a LUN through either storage processor
73. What type of storage cannot do multipathing?
74. What type of storage doesn’t RDM work with?
75. To test Dump Log Collector, what command forces a host to purple screen?
a. In SSH run “vsish” then “/reliability/crashMe/Panic”
76. After you stand up a Syslog Collector, what setting needs to be configured on each host to send logs to it?
77. A host won’t send logs over to the Syslog Collector even though Syslog.global.logHost is configured. What might be stopping it?
a. Configure the Outgoing firewall connection for syslog
78. How many vCPUs need to be in a VM for vNUMA to be enabled?
79. What Advanced Setting allows you to tell a VM how many cores exist in each CPU socket?
80. What will “chmod +w testfile” do?
a. Adds Write permissions for just you
81. How do you download the TFTP Boot Zip for Auto Deploy?
a. In the VIC, open up the Auto Deploy plugin and there will be a link to download this
82. You are asked to investigate the amount of CPU and Memory Reservations configured for the “snmpd” process (or any other process for that matter). Where do you go to check this?
a. In the VIC, click on a host \ Configuration tab \ System Resource Allocation \ click the Advanced link
83. Is Auto Deploy installed on the VCSA by default?
84. A host won’t allow you to enable DRS on the cluster it is in. What could cause this?
a. CPU Affinity is enabled
85. What type of load balancing isn’t compatible with Beacon Probing?
a. IP Hash
86. How many NICs are required for Beacon Probing to work?
a. Three. If you have just two and one goes offline, the NIC that is functioning will send out a probe to the other NIC and not get it back but that only tells it that one of the NICs is down. Either its partner isn’t responding or it isn’t receiving. Needs a third NIC to confirm which is the case
87. By default, are vSS set to Listen, Advertise, or Both for CDP?
88. How do you upgrade vMA?
a. Browse to the vMA website and go to the Update tab
89. What is the vMA web address?
a. https://[server name]:5480
90. By default, what is the Firewall Security Level set to? Low, Medium, or High?
91. What is blocked when Firewall Security Level is set to Low?
92. What incoming traffic is allowed when Firewall Security Level is set to High?
93. What command can configure Fast Pass for a vCenter Server using AD authentication?
a. vifp addserver vCenter1 --authpolicy adauth -- username [domain]\\[ServiceAccont]
94. In vMA, what command can be used to permanently elevate to root?
95. In vMA, what command can be used to temporarily elevate to root?
a. sudo [followed by the command you want to run]
96. In vMA, after running the “sudo” command, how long are you able to run commands as root?
a. About 5 minutes (haven’t confirmed yet)
97. Can vMA access a host with SSH disabled?
98. Can vMA access a host that is in Lockdown Mode?
99. What is the default administrator account for the vMA?
100. What command can be used in vMA to permanently elevate?
101. Where do you enable or disable SSL Certificate requirements from?
a. Web Client ONLY. vCenter \ vCenter Servers \ [vCenter server name] \ Manage tab \ Edit on General settings \ SSL Settings
102. What logs can be used to troubleshoot storage?
a. vmkernel.log, storagerm.log (SIOC info), and vobd.log
103. What command can be used for collecting information on distributed switches?
104. What URL can you use to access logs on a host?
a. https://[host ip]/host
105. How do you install UMDS?
a. From the vCenter CD install file VMware-UMDS.exe
106. Where do you go to query a database in Excel?
a. Data \ Import External Data \ New Database Query
107. For doing a VUM SQL query, what tables does VUM use?
a. VUMV_UPDATES and VUMV_ENTITY_SCAN_RESULTS
108. What PowerCLI command is used for UMDS?
109. What happens when you enable FT on a VM that has a thin provisioned disk?
a. It automatically converts it to eager thick
110. How do you upgrade two hosts that are both running an FT VM?
a. FT needs to be temporarily disabled until both hosts are upgraded. FT VMs must be powered off
111. In ESXTOP, what RDY count indicates a high wait time?
a. Over 5
112. In ESXTOP, what SWCUR count indicates a host is swapping memory?
a. Anything over 0
113. In ESXTOP, what does KAVG mean?
a. Latency by the Kernel
114. In ESXTOP, what does DAVG mean?
a. Latency by the Device Driver
115. In ESXTOP, what does QAVG mean?
a. Latency by Queue
116. In ESXTOP, what does GAVG mean?
a. Latency seen by guest VMs. It is KAVG + DAVG
117. What command is used to unzip a tar file?
a. tar -xzf [file] (x = extract, z = use gzip, f = file name)
118. What folder are tar unzips moved to by default?
119. In ESXTOP, what key is used to save a custom profile?
120. In ESXTOP, what command is used to load a custom profile?
a. esxtop -c /tmp/[name of profile]
121. How often is DRS calculated?
a. Every 5 minutes
122. What NIC needs to be used for WOL?
a. The vMotion NIC
123. There are two conflicting DRS Rules. Which one gets applied?
a. The oldest rule is applied
124. A VM isn’t ballooning memory when it should be. What is the cause for this?
a. VMware Tools needs to be installed
125. What is the file name for the Memory Ballooning driver?
126. How often do vDS update their configuration?
a. Every 5 minutes
127. How do you disable SplitRX on a VM?
a. ethernetX.emuRxMode set to False
128. What setting needs to be configured to prevent DPM from affecting a host and where is this configured?
a. Web client only. vCenter \ vCenter Servers \ [vCenter server name] \ Manage tab \ Power Management \ Edit
129. What key combination brings up the Advanced PDF Search in Adobe Acrobat?
a. Ctrl + Shift + F
130. What command sends a test SNMP message?
a. vicfg-snmp --server --username root --password [password] –test
131. What command sets Round Robin to occur every 100 I/Os instead of the default 1000?
a. esxcli storage nmp psp roundrobin deviceconfig set –d [naa ID] –t 100
132. What failover type doesn’t support Microsoft Clustering?
a. Round Robin
133. What SSH command can be used to display the available disk space for all datastores?
a. df -h
134. What is the max size a VMDK can be when using Virtual Compatibility RDM?
a. 2 TB
135. What service is for the vSphere Authentication Proxy?
a. CAM service
136. What command should be run after re-generating certificates or to restart all services?
a. services.sh restart
137. After you replace rui.key and rui.crt, what do you need to do in order to get this change to take effect?
a. Either restart services with “services.sh restart” or reboot the host
138. In what directory are certificates located?
139. What xml can you change the SSL timeouts?
a. /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml (readTimoutMS and handshakeTimeoutMS)
140. You need to change SSL read and handshake timeouts to 20 seconds. What steps do you need to perform?
a. In SSH, vi /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml
b. Add the lines <readTimeoutMs>20000</readTimeoutMs> and <handshakeTimeoutMs>20000</handshakeTimeoutMs>
c. service mgmt-vmware restart
141. What command recreates the host certificates?
142. What needs to be changed in order to prevent the loss of syslogs on reboot
a. Move the Scratch partition off of the host
143. What directory houses files that can be called from the command line just like things in the Windows PATH variable?
144. What log file is for the host management agent?
145. What log file is for the ESXi hypervisor?
146. What log file is for the vCenter Server Agent?
147. What log file is for the ESXi shell login history?
148. What log file is for patches and updates?
149. What log file is for management service and DCUI use?
150. What log file is for VMkernel startup?
151. What log file is for history of commands run from ESXi Shell?
152. What log file is vCenter’s main log?
153. What is the default Isolation Address?
a. Gateway of the Management Network
154. You find that a VM is ignoring an active DRS rule. What can cause this?
a. The VM cannot be placed on a compliant host
155. What can SDRS use to capture I/O statistics of a datastore?
a. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
156. How often does SDRS analyze I/O to make recommendations?
a. Every 8 hours
157. How do you schedule SDRS to run at a specific time?
a. Right click Datastore cluster and Edit settings then choose SDRS Scheduling
158. What can be used to keep two mirrored disks on different datastores?
a. VMDK Anti-Affinity
159. What are the three requirements for FT to be enabled on a VM?
a. VM has one CPU, eager thick zeroed disks, and FT VMKernel port on each host
160. What does VUM use to restart vApps in the correct order?
a. Smart Rebooting
161. What tool can only be configured with its own unique version of PowerCLI?
a. VUM requires the use of VUM PowerCLI
162. What file runs VUM Utility?
163. What advanced options can be used to set the slot size?
a. Das.vmCpuMinMHz and das.vmMemoryMinMB
164. How is the CPU and RAM slot size determined?
a. By taking the VM in an HA cluster that has the highest reservation for CPU and RAM
165. What advanced option can be used to set how many datastore heartbeats are used?
166. What log file can be used to storage and multipathing issues?
167. What log file can be used to troubleshoot vCenter Server service not starting?
168. In SSH, what commands can be used to restart network and management services?
a. /etc/init.d/hostd restart
b. /etc/init.d/vpxa restart
169. What link in the VIC shows information about HA Slots?
a. From the Cluster, go to the Summary tab and click Advanced Runtime
170. In ESXTOP, what does GAVG/cmd display?
a. The latency for an HBA
171. In ESXTOP, what causes high KAVG/cmd?
a. CPU contention within the vmkernel
172. In ESXTOP, what causes high DAVG/cmd?
a. Issues with the physical storage
173. In ESXTOP, what would be considered high latency for a virtual disk?
a. Over 5 ms
174. What command can be used to inflate a VMDK from thin to thick eager zero?
a. vmkfstools -j /vmfs/volumes/Datastore1/VM1/VM1.vmdk”
175. What command can be used to inflate a VMDK from thick to thick eager zero?
a. vmkfstools -k /vmfs/volumes/Datastore1/VM1/VM1.vmdk”
176. What are three types of port mirroring?
a. Distributed Port Mirroring, Remote Mirroring Source, and Remote Mirroring Destination
177. In ESXTOP, what information is displayed by hitting ‘n’?
a. Networking statistics
178. In SSH, what command can be used to ping vmkernel ports?
a. vmkping -I vmk1 [IP to ping from vmk1]
179. What vscsiStats command will collect data on a VM with worldGroupID 1000?
a. vscsiStats -s -w 1000
180. What vscsiStats command will gather latency info on a VM with worldGroupID 1000?
a. vscsiStats -s -w 1000 -p latency
181. What vscsiStats command stops data collection?
a. -vscsiStats -x
182. How long with vscsiStats run if a duration is not specified?
a. 30 minutes
183. What vscsiStats command will list all VMs and world group IDs?
a. vscsiStats -list
184. What vscsiStats command will collect seek distance info on a VM with worldGroupID 1000 and store it to a csv?
a. vscsiStats -s -w 1000 -p seekdistance -c > /tmp/data.csv
185. In ESXTOP, how do you see the queue length for each HBA?
a. d \ f \ D then look at the AQLEN column
186. Where can Hyperthreading be configured on a host?
a. Hardware tab \ Processors \ Properties
187. What is the difference between VMX Swap File and VM Swap File?
a. VMX Swap File is created on boot and only when host memory is overcommitted. VM Swap File is used while the machine is running
188. Under what conditions is VMX Swap used?
a. Only gets invoked when host memory is overcommitted
189. Which of these configures the physical path for storage arrays? PSA, MPP, NMP, SATP, or PSP?
190. Which of these monitors the health of paths to a storage array? PSA, MPP, NMP, SATP, or PSP?
191. What are some disadvantages to upgrading from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 rather than destroying and recreating a datastore with VMFS-5?
a. Optimized block size and optimized sub-block allocation is not enabled and VAAI may not fully function
192. What five steps need to be taken to configure and assign VM Storage Profiles?
a. Create a profile by going to VM Storage Profiles \ Manage Storage Capabilities
b. Right click on a Datastore and choose Assign User-Defined Storage Capability
c. Go back to VM Storage Profiles \ Enable VM Storage Profiles (If hosts say license status is Unknown then this won't work)
d. Create a Storage Profile
e. Right Click on a VM and choose VM Storage Profile \ Manage Profiles
193. What types of information can be reported from a SAN using VASA?
a. Information about disks and RAID, health of LUNs, any dead disks, etc.
194. What technology allows a SAN to provide information about its capabilities to vCenter?
195. What three Advanced Settings can be configured to disable VAAI for a host?
a. DataMover.HardwareAcceleratedMove, DataMover.HardwareAcceleratedInit, and VMFS3.HardwareAcceleratedLocking
196. When being prompted for a Resignature, what three options are you given?
a. Keep Existing, Assign New, and Format Disk
197. When doing a Resignaturing of a datastore what ID gets changed?
198. Are the four Storage Filters set to true or false by default?
199. What are the four Storage Filters?
a. config.vpxd.filter.vmfsFilter, config.vpxd.filter.rdmFilter, config.vpxd.filter.SameHostandTransportsFilter, and config.vpxd.filter.hostRescanFilter
200. After enabling DirectPath I/O for a device on a host you try to assign it to a VM but the option isn’t available. What do you need to do first?
a. Reboot the host
201. Can you vMotion a device that has DirectPath I/O enabled?
a. No, unless you are in a UCS environment
202. What needs to be configured on a VM for it to support NPIV?
203. What outside of vSphere needs to support NPIV for it to be used?
a. The SAN and the HBA
204. Where is NPIV configured for a VM?
a. Edit Settings of the VM, Options tab, then Fibre Channel NPIV
205. Does NPIV configure a WWNN or WWPN for a VM?
a. Both. Generally it will specify 2 WWPNs and 1 WWNN
206. You need to setup a cluster between a VM and a physical server. What needs to be done on the VM to allow it to share storage with the physical server?
a. Configure Physical Compatibility RDM for the shared drives
207. When using Physical Compatibility RDMs what three things are NOT supported?
a. Snapshots, Cloning, and Storage vMotion
208. Does Microsoft Clustering support using an NFS datastore?
a. No. Must use FC or iSCSI
209. Can you perform a Storage vMotion between an NFS and iSCSI datastore?
210. Where do PVLANs get configured?
a. First on the Switch and then on any Port Groups using them
211. After enabling NetFlow on the switch what other step needs to be taken before it will do anything?
a. In the properties of each Port Group go to Monitoring and enable NetFlow
b. Configure a collector for the NetFlow traffic
c. Configure switches to support NetFlow
212. User-Defined Network Resources are created in NOIC and assigned to what?
a. Port Groups
213. Where does the User-Defined Network Resource for NOIC get created in the VIC?
a. Click a vDS and go to the Resource Allocation tab
214. If VMs are using the same physical network card as vMotion, what can be used to prevent contention between the two?
a. NIOC can configure vMotion to Low priority and prevent it from consuming bandwidth from VMs
215. What uses Network Resource Pools?
216. What tool would you use to give priority to VM traffic over vMotion?
a. NIOC - Network Resource Pools
217. Where is NIOC enabled?
a. Go to the vDS then to the Resource Allocation tab, Properties, and check the Enable box
218. Where does Port Mirroring get configured?
a. Can only be done on the VIC. Properties for vDS then Port Mirroring tab. Check “Allow normal I/O on destination ports” and then input the source and destination ports
219. Does Ephemeral Port Binding required vCenter to be on in order to function?
220. What setting needs to be configured on a virtual switch when using NLB?
a. Turn Notify Switches to No
221. What does “Route based on physical NIC load” require?
222. At what threshold does “Route based on physical NIC load” rebalance?
a. Over 75% load for 30 seconds
223. Does “Route based on the original virtual port ID” do Active/Active or Active/Passive failover?
224. What is required to do VLAN Trunking?
a. A vDS is required
225. What range of VLANs can PVLANs use?
a. 1 thru 4094
226. What VLAN is used to trunk all VLANs?
227. What form of load balancing needs to be used along with EtherChannel?
a. IP Hash
228. What three features are disabled when DirectPath I/O is enabled on a VM?
a. vMotion, suspend, and snapshots
229. What is the maximum number of SNMP Receivers that can be configured under vCenter Server Settings?
230. What command will enable FastPath in the vMA for a host named Host1?
a. vifp addserver Host1 -authpolicy adauth”
231. After a host named Host1 is enabled in FastPath, what command needs to be run to start running commands against it?
a. vifptarget -s Host1
232. Which is more secure and puts the least load on an ESX host, PowerCLI or ESXi shell?
233. What keys are used to connect to the 8 pages for esxtop?
a. esxtop pages: H = Help, C = CPU, M = Memory, N = Network, D = Disk adapter, U = Disk device, V = Disk VM, P = Power mgmt.
234. What key combination in esxtop lets you view data about VMs?
a. Shift + V
235. What key in esxtop lets you change the columns being displayed?
236. How do you run esxtop in batch for 300 seconds?
a. esxtop -b -d 300
237. What does the Authentication Proxy allow you to do?
a. Allows a host to join an AD domain without requiring AD credentials
238. When is using the Authentication Proxy required?
a. With Stateless Auto Deploy
239. What VMware document includes detailed instructions on configuring Authentication Proxy?
a. The vCenter Security Guide
240. For Resignaturing, when would you choose "Assign new signature"?
a. Done when another datastore already has the same UUID. When doing this VMs will need to be removed and re-added to inventory to update their config files with the new UUID
241. How do you configure vSphere Flash Read Cache?
a. Open web client, click a Host, click the Manage tab, and then in Setting scroll down to Flash Read Cache Resource Management and click the Add Capacity button
242. What are the five requirements for datastore to be unmounted?
a. No VMs on it, not part of a datastore cluster, not managed by Storage DRS, SIOC is disabled, and not being used for HA heartbeat
243. What report allows you to see which SCSI devices have no Datastore installed on them?
a. Under ESX Host \ Storage Views \ Reports choose “Show all SCSI Volumes (LUNs)”
244. What executable allows reconfiguration of VUM or UMDS without needing to reinstall?
a. C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\VMwareUpdateManagerUtility
245. Does vCenter Server Heartbeat setup an Active/Active or Active/Passive failover cluster?
246. What are the types of Auto Deploy that can be done?
a. Stateless (install to memory), Stateless Cachine (temp install to disk), and Stateful
247. What would you type in PowerCLI to browse inventory?
a. cd vi:
248. How do you enable RemoteSigned execution policy within PowerCLI?
a. Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
249. What are the first level namespaces within SSH?
a. esxcli, fcoe, hardware, iscsi, network, sched, software, storage, system, vm
250. When is the 32-bit version of PowerCLI used?
a. When running cmdlets against VM Guest like Invoke-VMScript
251. Configure a Port Group to a VLAN that supports Guest OS VLAN Tagging
a. Set a Port Group to use VLAN All (4095)
252. What is a Specialized Security Limited Functionality (SSLF) environment?
253. What products are in the vShield Suite?
a. vShield Zones (firewall), vShield App (Upgrade from Zones), vShield Edge (multi-tenant environments, does NAT, VPN, & DHCP), vShield Endpoint (needs a third-party security product to work)
254. One of the VMNICs on a vSwitch is set to 100 mb and it should be 1000 mb. How do you change this?
a. Open up the properties of the vSwitch that the VMNIC is associate with and go to the Network Adapters tab
b. Highlight the VMNIC and click the Edit button to get to a page that lets you set the NIC speed
255. In PowerCLI, how do you store a hostname to a variable?
a. $hostname = get-vmhost [hostname]
256. When running “Get-VMHostNetwork” output in the table gets truncated. What command would list information rather than put it into a table?
a. Get-VMHostNetwork | Format-List
257. For Auto Deploy, how do you remove a rule from a ruleset?
a. Get-DeployRule “[rule name]” | Remove-DeployRule
258. What are the steps for configuring the entire Auto Deploy process?
a. Download the TFTP Boot files from the VIC \ Administration \ Auto Deploy to the TFTP root folder
b. Create a Host Profile
c. From PowerCLI:
i. Connect-VIServer [vCenter Server IP]
ii. Add-EsxSoftwareDepot “path to ESXi image”
iii. Get-EsxImageProfile | select name (gets you a list of image names you’ll need for the next step)
iv. New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile [image name from previous step] -Name VCAP-Profile -Vendor VCAP-Vendor
v. New-DeployRule -Name VCAP-Rule -Item VCAP-Profile -Pattern “ipv4=192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100”
vi. Add-DeployRule VCAP-Rule
vii. New-DeployRule -Name Cluster-Rule -Item [Name of Cluster in vCenter] -Pattern “ipv4=192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100”
viii. Add-DeployRule Cluster-Rule
ix. New-DeployRule -Name Host-Profile-Rule -Item [Name of Host Profile] -Pattern “ipv4=192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100”
x. Add-DeployRule Host-Profile-Rule
d. Once the ESX host boots for the first time update the Answer File so that next time it will not boot into Maintenance Mode
259. For Auto Deploy, when you Download the TFTP Boot, where do you put it?
a. Depends on how the TFTP system is configured. I needs to be in the root of whatever that program is setup to use
260. For Auto Deploy, where can you get the DHCP File name and iPXE Boot URL if you need them?
a. Log into the VIC \ Administration \ Auto Deploy and they are all listed there
261. With Auto Deploy you need to configure bulk licensing. Where in the documentation are there instructions on how to do this?
a. vSphere Installation and Setup pg 170 under “Set Up Bulk Licensing”
b. Just do an Advanced Search in Adobe on “Bulk Licensing” to find it
262. While ESXi is loading, what key combination allows you to use Advanced Bootloader?
a. During installation hit Shift+O
263. What steps are needed to add a driver to an ESXi image?
a. Download and unzip an ESXi Offline Bundle
b. From PowerCLI run:
i. Add-EsxSoftwareDepot c:\temp\ESXi5OfflineBundle
ii. Get-esximageprofile | select name (helps find the name of the bundle for next step)
iii. New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile [Name of ESX image] -Name VCAP-Image -Vendor Whatever
iv. Get-esxsoftwarepackage (gets a list of vibs in the image)
v. Add-EsxSoftwareDepot c:\temp\DriverFolder\Driver.Zip
vi. Get-esxsoftwarepackage (find the vib that was added for the next step)
vii. Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile VCAP-Image -SoftwarePackage [VIB name]
viii. Run one of the following:
ix. Export-EsxImageProfile -ImageProfile VCAP-Image -ExportToIso c:\temp\VCAP-Image.iso
x. Export-EsxImageProfile -ImageProfile VCAP-Image -ExportToBundle c:\temp\VCAP-Image.zip (for AutoDeploy)
264. How do you create an IP Pool?
a. Click the Datacenter and go to the IP Pools tab
b. Be sure to associate this with a VM port group
265. What website is used to access the vSphere Client? What is the default admin username?
266. What is the website used to access the vMA? What is the default admin username?
267. How do you join vMA to a domain
a. “sudo domainjoin-cli join testdomain.local User@testdomain.local”
268. How do you add a host with fastpass to vMA?
a. vifp addserver Host1.testdomain.local --authpolicy fpauth
269. How do you add a host with fastpass using AD credentials to vMA?
a. vifp addserver Host1.testdomain.local --authpolicy adauth
270. How do you connect to a host in vMA that is already configured with fastpass?
a. vifptarget -s Host1.testdomain.local
271. How do you browse a datastore in PowerCLI?
a. cd vmstores: then ls
b. cd .\\192.168.1.211@443 then ls
c. cd .\Datastore01 then ls
272. What command lets you see a list of all Update Manager related PowerCLI commands?
a. Get-command -PSSnapin VMware.VUMAutomation
273. What command will output snapshots for all VMs and output it to a file?
a. get-vm | get-snapshot | out-file c:\temp\snapshots.txt
274. You are giving a certificate named cert.cer and you need to use it to configure Authentication Proxy
a. Upload cert.cer to the root of a datastore (like Datastore01)
b. Click a host and go to Configuration tab \ Authentication Services
c. Click Import Certificate and type “[Datastore01]cert.cer” and type the IP of the server running the Authentication Proxy
d. Back in Authentication Services click Properties and join AD using the Authentication Proxy
275. Create a new firewall rule named “Test rule” which is outgoing using ports 999-1099
a. vi /etc/vmware/firewall/fdm
i. <id>Test rule</id>
ii. <rule id=’0001’>
b. esxcli network firewall ruleset refresh
c. Verify that the new firewall shows up in the VIC
276. How do you configure High security for the firewall?
a. esxcli network firewall set --default-action false (setting false will set it to DROP)
b. esxcli network firewall set --enabled true
277. Configure password complexity
a. vi /etc/pam.d/passwd
b. password requisite /lib/security/$ISA/pam_passwdqc.so retry=N min=N0,N1,N2,N3,N4
i. Retry = number of retries
ii. N0 = Passwords with one character class must be this length
iii. N1 = Two character classes length
iv. N2 = Passphrases
v. N3 = Three character classes length
vi. N4 = Four character classes length
vii. pam_passwdqc classes = lower, upper, number, and special
278. What command is used to re-generate certificates?
a. /sbin/generate-certificates then reboot
279. How do you restart management agents from SSH?
a. Services.sh restart
280. How do you restart just the hostd agent?
a. /etc/init.d/hostd restart
281. How do you list all VMs and their world ID with vscsiStats?
a. vscsiStats -l
282. How do you start vscsiStats for world ID 199003?
a. vscsiStats -s -w 199003
283. What command will gather IOs for world ID 199003 and handle 8215?
a. vscsiStats -p ioLength -w 199003 -i 8215
284. What command will sequential or random reads for world ID 199003 and handle 8215?
a. vscsiStats -p seekdistance -w 199003 -i 8215
i. Reads close to 0 are sequential and further away are random
285. How do you save vscsiStats for latency to a csv?
a. vscsiStats -p latency -c > /tmp/output.csv
286. What command lists all modules?
a. esxcli system module list
287. What command lists all masked LUNs?
a. esxcli storage core claimrule list
b. esxcli storage core path list
288. Change the interval at which performance statistics are gathered in vCenter
a. vCenter Server Settings and choose Statistics
289. Create a Custom Performance chart
a. Go to the Performance, go to Advanced, and click Chart Options
b. Customize what settings you want and click Save Chart Settings
c. At the top you can use the dropdown box to set the custom chart to load at startup
290. What SSH command will enable Dump Collector?
a. esxcli system coredump network set --enable true
291. What log is checked to verify login successes and failures?
292. What log will tell you why a patch failed to install on a host?
293. What log would you check for a VM having issues?
294. What log would you check for host management service issues?
295. What logs can help troubleshoot HA issues?
a. hostd.log and fdm.log
296. What log tracks all commands run in SSH?
297. What log tracks VMkernel startup and module loading?
298. What compressed log contains boot log information?
299. What log tracks DCUI usage?
300. What log tracks scheduled tasks?
301. What log tracks storage, network, and VM startup information?
302. What log allows you to get a list of warning and alert logs?
303. What log lists ESXi host startups and shutdowns?
304. What command would you use in SSH to search for all instances of “SCSI” in vmkwarning.log?
a. grep SCSI vmkwarning.log
305. What command can be used to unzip a .gz file?
306. What file contains the location of the VUM repository?
307. Where do you enable Smart Rebooting of vApps?
a. Home \ Update Manager
b. Configuration tab and vApp Settings and check the Enable smart reboot after remediation box
308. What type of update can take advantage of Smart Rebooting?
309. Schedule a vApp to launch the second VM once VMware Tools are ready in the first VM
a. Edit vApp Settings and go to Start Order tab
b. Click the first VM and check the box that says VMware Tools are ready
310. Update Manager throws an error when trying to download new patches. What might be an issue
a. Check free space on the C: drive
311. Use Update Manager to upgrade a host to ESXi 5.5
a. Import an image into Update Manager
b. Create a Host Upgrade Baseline using that image
c. Attach the Baseline to the host or cluster
312. Update an existing Host Profile to include all changes made on it’s reference host since it was created
a. Host Profiles and right click on the Host Profile and choose Update Profile From Reference Host
313. Configure a host to not get Host Profile Compliance errors due to items that will apply only to that host
a. Host Profiles then Host and Clusters tab
b. Right click a host and choose Update Answer File (by default it will put in all the appropriate answers for you)
314. Enable FT support on a host and then enable it for a VM
a. Configure a NIC on each host to use Fault Tolerance Logging
b. Power off a VM, right click on it, Fault Tolerance, and Turn on Fault Tolerance
315. Migrate an FT secondary to a different host
a. Right click on the FT VM, Fault Tolerance, Migrate Secondary
316. HA is automatically determining what datastore to use for heartbeats. Determine which ones are being used
a. Select the cluster object and on the Summary tab click the Cluster Status link and then the Heartbeat Datastores tab
317. Configure a VM to restart after 2 minutes if VMware Tools stops responding to heartbeats
a. Edit Settings of the cluster and go to VM Monitoring
b. In the bottom pane edit that VM to use VM Monitoring and set Monitoring Sensitivity to Low
318. How do you configure a custom slot sizes in an HA cluster?
a. Edit Settings on a cluster and go to vSphere HA
b. Click on Advanced Options button and add in das.slotmeminmb and das.slotcpuinmhz
319. How do you configure a second isolation address for a cluster?
a. das.isolationaddress# (where # is 0-9) is added as an HA option
320. How do you create an esxtop profiles?
a. Run esxtop
b. Use f and o to add fields and change orders
c. Use W to save settings
d. Next time esxtop is used run “esxtop -c [file]” to load settings
321. Save esxtop results to a .csv
a. esxtop -b -a -d [delay seconds] -n [number of iterations] > /vmfs/volumes/Datastore01/BatchOutput.csv
322. View a Batch CSV in Perfmon
a. Open Perfmon and expand Monitoring Tools
b. Right Click Performance Monitor, Properties, and then the Source tab
c. Click Log Files radio button and then Add button to browse for the CSV
d. No data is shown by default so hit the green plus sign and add some fields
323. Capture data the can be replayed in esxtop
a. vm-support -p -d [duration seconds] -i [interval seconds] -w “/vmfs/volumes/Datastore01”
324. When running vm-support, where does it store the log bundle to by defalt?
325. Run a replay of vm-support data
a. tar zxvf [name of .tgz file]
b. cd into the extracted directory that was created
d. esxtop -R [extracted directory path]
326. Enable SIOC on a datastore
a. Browse to a datastore and click Properties
327. Configure IPMI/iLO on a host
a. Click the host and go to Configuration \ Power Management
328. With DRS set to Automatic make it so one VM doesn’t automatically get migrated
a. Edit Settings on a cluster and go to Virtual Machine Options
329. Set a group of VMs to only run on a set of hosts
a. Edit Settings on cluster and go to DRS Groups Manager
b. Create a VM group and a Host group
c. Under Rules create a “Virtual Machines to Hosts” rule for the VMs and Hosts
330. Make sure a VM is configured for Ballooning
a. Install VMware Tools
331. Setup the second best NIC behind vmxnet3
a. Enhanced NIC
332. Where do you configure Jumbo Frames and what NIC(s) support this?
a. Setup under dvSwitch \ Properties \ Advanced
b. Require vmxnet3 or Enhanced NIC
333. Migrate large quantities of Virtual Machine Networks
a. On a VDS \ Summary tab \ Migrate Virtual Machine Networking
334. How do you migrate from a vSS to a vDS without incurring any downtime for VMs on the host?
a. Dedicate two NICs to the VM networks and only migrate one at a time
335. Enable NIOCs
a. Select a switch \ Resource Allocation \ Properties
336. Disable VAAI on a host
a. Advanced Settings \ DataMover and set HardwareAcceleratedInit and Hardware AcceleratedMove to 1
b. Advanced Settings \ VMFS3 and set HardwareAcceleratedLocking to 1
337. Setup Storage Profiles with VASA
a. Administration \ Storage Providers and enter in storage provider information
b. Management \ VM Storage Profiles
i. Manage Storage Capabilities
ii. Create VM Storage Profile
iii. Enable VM Storage Profiles
c. Right click a Datastore and choose Assign User-Defined Storage Capability
d. Edit a VM \ Profiles and choose a VM Storage Profile
e. Review VM Summary for VM Storage Profile compliance
338. Browse a datastore in vMA
a. Use “vifs --server [IP] --username root --dir [DatastoreName]
339. Enable NPIV
a. Edit Settings on a shutdown VM
b. Options \ Fiber Channel NPIV
c. Uncheck Temporarily Disable NPIV
d. Generate new WWNs
340. How do you disable storage filters?
a. Administration \ vCenter Server Settings \ Advanced Settings
b. config.vpxd.filter.vmfsFilter, config.vpxd.filter.rdmFilter, config.vpxd.filter.SameHostandTransportsFilter, and config.vpxd.filter.hostRescanFilter
341. Enable VMDirectPath
a. On a host go to Configuration \ Advanced Settings \ Edit and select a device
b. Reboot host
c. Edit Settings on a shut down VM and Add hardware, PCI Device
d. Install the driver on the VM for the hardware
342. LUN Masking! Confusing as crap
a. “esxcli storage core claimrule list” will display all LUN masking
b. “esxcli storage core claimrule [add/remote]” can be used to create or remove a rule
c. “esxcli storage core load” needs to be run after an add/remove
d. “esxcli storage core claiming unclaim –t location –A [HBA]” needs to be run after the load
e. “esxcli storage core claimrule run” needs to be done to enforce added or removed claimrules
343. SSD Tagging. Instructor didn’t know how to do this so this isn’t 100% correct
a. “esxcli storage nmp device list” will list all devices
b. “esxcli storage core device list –d [Device_Name]” will output if a device is already SSD enabled
c. “esxcli storage nmp satp rule add –satp [SATP] -–device [Device_Name] –option=enable_ssd
i. SATP is like VMW_SATP_LOCAL
ii. Device_Name is like mpx.vmhba1.C0.T0.L0
d. “esxcli storage core claiming unclaim --type [Device] --device [Device_Name]”
e. “esxcli storage core claimrule load”
f. “esxcli storage core claimrule run”
344. VAAI claim rules
a. “esxcli storage core claimrule list --claimrule-class=filter” will list all filter claim rules
b. “esxcli storage core claimrule list --claimrule-class VAAI” will list all VAAI claim rules
c. “esxcli storage core claimrule add --claimrule-class filter --plugin VAAI_Filter”
d. “esxcli storage core claimrule add --cliamrule-class VAAI --plugin [VAAI_Plugin]”
e. “esxcli storage core claimrule load --claimrule-class filter”
f. “esxcli storage core claimrule load --claimrule-class=VAAI”
g. “esxcli storage core claimrule run --claimrule-class=filter”
345. Mask a LUN
a. “esxcli storage core claimrule add” all by itself will list off a lot of examples
b. “esxcli storage core claimrule add -r [any available number for the rule] -t [type, vendor in this case] -V [vendor name] -M [model name] -P MASK_PATH
346. Change VMW_SATP_LOCAL default to Round Robin
a. “esxcli storage nmp satp set -s VMW_SATP_LOCAL -P VMW_PSP_RR
347. How do you create an SATP claim rule?
a. esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -V [vendor] -M [model] -s [SATP]
348. Create a multipathed iSCSI connection from a host
a. Create a software iSCSI
b. Link a vSS or vDS to two NICs
c. Configure TWO VMKernel ports
d. Set each port to have one NIC unused and configure IPs for both
e. Under Configuration \ Storage Adapters under the Network Configuration tab add both VMKernels
349. Get the IQN for an iSCSI connection
a. Under Configuration \ Storage Adapters open up Properties for the iSCSI adapter and copy the Name
350. Create a VDS and migrate hosts and VMs over (not management network because I guess the test won’t ask about that)
a. Sorry, this isn’t really an answer but it is too long to put in here. Just know this entire process
351. Set your VDS to just trunk VLANs 10 and 20
a. Open properties of the DVUplinks \ Policies
352. Change VDS to use LLDP
a. Properties of VDS \ Advanced
353. Configure NetFlow on VDS
a. Properties of VDS \ NetFlow tab
b. Open each Port Group \ Policies \ Monitoring and enable NetFlow
c. Open the Uplink group \ Monitoring and enable NetFlow
354. Configure Port Mirroring
a. Properties of VDS \ Port Mirroring tab
355. Perform Port Monitoring on a VM
a. Click on the VDS and go to the Ports tab
b. Click the Start Monitoring Port State link in the upper left
356. Force a VM to use software MMU
a. Edit settings of a VM and go to the Options tab
b. Advanced \ CPU/MMU Virtualization and set “Use software”
357. Check what MMU a VM is using
a. In SSH browse to a VM’s folder on a datastore
b. Open vmware.log
c. Type “/MONITOR” which will search for the word monitor. This is CASE SENSATIVE
d. This lists what modes are available, preferred, and finally, which one is chosen
358. Set a VM to store the swapfile in the host’s swapfile datastore
a. Edit settings of a VM and go to the Options tab
b. Advanced \ Swapfile Location
359. How do you change default swap file location for a single VM?
a. Edit Settings for VM \ Options tab \ Advanced \ General \ Configuration Parameters
b. Add sched.swap.dir
c. You can also configure the Swapfile Location under Edit Settings and Options tab for a VM but it only gives a few options here
360. How do you change swap file location for a single host?
a. Edit Settings for HA/DRS cluster and set Swapfile Location to store swapfile in datastore specified by host
361. How do you change the swap file location for an entire cluster?
a. Click on the cluster and go to Configuration tab then Virtual Machine Swapfile Location
362. Configured CPU Affinity on a VM
a. Edit settings of a VM and go to Resources tab
b. Advanced CPU and set Schedule Affinity
363. Configure the Host Cache datastore
a. First, you need an SSD datastore. Use Claim Rules to configure one if needed
b. Select a host and go to the Configuration tab
c. Software \ Host Cache Configuration then Add Storage
d. Select the datastore and then Properties to set how much space will be allocated to cache
364. Implement a Private VLAN
a. Edit Settings of a vSwitch \ Private VLAN tab
b. Create a Primary VLAN and some secondary for Isolated and Community
c. Create Port Groups for the PVLANs
365. Change the MAC on a VM
a. Edit Settings on a VM and select Network Adapter to change MAC
366. Enable CDP on a switch
a. Edit properties of a switch, click Advanced in the left pane, and enable CDP
367. Block all ports on a VDS
a. Edit settings on a switch \ Miscellaneous \ Block all ports
368. Set switch port binding to something that doesn’t require vCenter to be online for a VM to get a port BUT also makes tracking network statistics difficult
a. Edit settings on a switch \ General \ set Ephemeral binding
369. Add a port group to a Network Resource Pool
a. Edit properties of a port group \ Policies \ set Network Resource Pool
370. Display all paths for LUN naa.600601604550250018ea2d38073cdf11
a. esxcfg-mpath -b -d naa.600601604550250018ea2d38073cdf11
371. Create a claim rule to mask LUN vmhba33:C2:T1:L0. Make sure to enable the claim rule
a. esxcli storage core claimrule add -rule [any free number] -t location -A vmhba33 -C 2 -T 1 -L 0 -P MASK_PATH
b. esxcli storage core claimrule load
372. What SSH commands can be used to create a standard switch named TestSwitch, add an uplink vmnic1, add a port group Test50, and set Test50 to use VLAN 50?
a. esxcli network vswitch standard add -v TestSwitch
b. esxcli network vswitch standard uplink -v TestSwitch --uplink-name=vmnic1
c. esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup -v TestSwitch -p Test50
d. esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup -p Test50 --vlan-id 50
373. What SSH commands can be used to create a vmkernel on a NIC named vmk2, set it to use port group 50, and configure the IP 192.168.1.200 on it?
a. esxcli network ip interface add --interface-name=vmk2 -p Test50
b. esxcli network ip interface ipv4 set --interface-name=vmk2 ipv4=192.168.1.200 netmask=255.255.255.0
374. What would you need to configure to ensure that vMotion traffic was a lower priority than VM traffic?
a. NOIC which is under a vDS and Resource Allocation tab
375. How do you disable NetSplitRXMode on a Host?
a. Select host, configuration, Advanced Settings, and set Net.NetSplitRxMode to 0
376. How do you disable any Storage Configuration information from being applied by a Host Profile?
a. Right click the host profile and click Enable/Disable Profile Configuration
b. Uncheck the box next to Storage Configuration
377. What four values do you want to see at 0 in the real-time Performance chart for a VM to know there aren’t any memory related issues?
a. Swap In, Swap Out, Balloon, and Compression Rate
378. What option needs to be selected when configuring port mirroring so the destination port can both receive the mirrored information and continue transmitting data on its own?
a. Allow normal I/O on destination ports
379. What file needs to be modified to create a custom service for a host?
380. How do you add a custom driver using Image Builder in PowerCLI? Image name is ESXi-5.5.zip, driver package is Driver1.zip, and new ISO should be ESXi-5.5-Install.iso
a. Add-ESXSoftwareDepot C:\ESXi-5.5.zip
b. Add-ESXSoftwareDepot C:\Driver1.zip
d. New-ESXImageProfile -CloneProfile -[profile name] -Name “[whatever you want to call it]”
f. Add-ESXSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile “[whatever you want to call it]” -SoftwarePackage [driver package name]
g. Export-ESXImageProfile -ImageProfile “[whatever you want to call it]” -ExportToISO -FilePath C:\ESXi-5.5-Install
381. How do you configure it so you need to hold down a key for 2 seconds before it repeats the character in a VM?
a. In Advanced Settings on a VM create a field “keyboard.typematicMinDelay” and set the value to 2000000
382. How do you configure SNMP on a host to talk with solarwinds.local on port 161 using Public community string? Also, do a test SNMP message.
a. esxcli system snmp set --communities public
b. esxcli system snmp set --targets solarwinds.local@161/public
c. esxcli system snmp set --enable true
d. esxcli system snmp test
383. In ESXTOP, where do you go to see a hosts memory state?
a. Go to the memory (‘m’) page then look across the third column all the way to the end. It will say high state, soft state, hard state, or low state
384. In ESXTOP, if a host is displaying its memory is in a “high state” is this good or bad?
a. High state is normal functioning. No ballooning or memory reclamation is taking place
385. In ESXTOP, there are four different memory stats that a host can be in. Put them in order from best to worst.
a. High, soft, hard, then low
386. What is 802.3ad and what needs to be enabled to support it?
a. Link Aggregation. Route Based on IP Hash load balancing needs to be configured
387. What is the ESXCLI command to list Distributed Switch information for a host?
a. esxcli network vswitch dvs vmware list
388. What are some reasons a VM might not support Fault Tolerance?
a. It has more than one CPU, a virtual disk isn’t Thick Eager Zeroed, or the virtual disk isn’t on shared storage
389. Where are Tags and Categories created?
a. Can only be done in the Web Client. On the Home page click Tags and you can create tags or categories there