1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 5:21 AM by chucker23n Go to original post
      • 15. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
        chucker23n Novice

        snruebes wrote:

         

        Why - because Windows 8 is a tile disaster and now real alternative for Enterprises - maybe it becomes better with Windows 9 - we will see at September 30th

        As someone who develops software for quite a few "Enterprises", I assure you Windows 8 is a valid — if unpopular — option.

         

        Windows 7 does not ship with USB 3.0 support, and Windows 7 Mainstream Support is ending in mid-January, mere months from now. I doubt VMware would reverse course on their decision so late in the lifecycle.

        • 16. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
          dlhotka Virtuoso

          Most enterprises are looking to Windows 9 - hoping that Microsoft delivers a usable interface.

           

          One of my friends figured out what was going on:  Star Trek had all the even numbers taken for good movies, so Microsoft had to take all the odd numbers for good operating systems :-).

          • 17. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
            TimG201110141 Novice

            ChipMcK wrote:

             

            TimG201110141 wrote

             

            • Hell, Parallels just developed for Intel's USB 3.0 Driver set and used that! Works GREAT! They don't have to REINVENT the wheel! DUH.. You just goto intel's site, download USB3 drivers, install and DONE..

             

            You realize that YOU could do the same thing and be done with the issue.

            The time spent flaming at VMWare is more than the time for DIY.

             

            In the mean time, call MicroSoft and flame at it.

            Nope, tried it. VMware didn't build it's driver to a specific spec that can be downloaded. Flaming VMWAre? No Pointing out it's failings.. hell yes.. From what you say, I cannot complain about anything VMWare does? You a VMWare fanboy who says VMWare can do no wrong? lol!

            • 18. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
              TimG201110141 Novice

              chucker23n wrote:

               

              snruebes wrote:

               

              Why - because Windows 8 is a tile disaster and now real alternative for Enterprises - maybe it becomes better with Windows 9 - we will see at September 30th

              As someone who develops software for quite a few "Enterprises", I assure you Windows 8 is a valid — if unpopular — option.

               

              Windows 7 does not ship with USB 3.0 support, and Windows 7 Mainstream Support is ending in mid-January, mere months from now. I doubt VMware would reverse course on their decision so late in the lifecycle.

              And yet Parallels figured this out almost right away at USB 3.0's release.. funny how the only excuse is it's not built into the OS is the only reason.. wow.. parrots have more originality.

               

              Also, mainstream support just means they won't be selling 'actively'... Their 'mainstream' support ended in 2009 for Windows XP.. Most companies that didn't go Windows 7 are only JUST getting away from XP because extended support ended in April 2009..

               

              Windows 7's extended support doesn't end for 5 MORE YEARS - It's going to be around in business and personal computers for YEARS to come...

              • 19. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                ChipMcK Expert

                TimG201110141 wrote:

                 

                You a VMWare fanboy who says VMWare can do no wrong?

                 

                No, a fan of VirtualBox.

                 

                BTW, if you were running Windows 7 on bare metal, how would you acquire USB3.0 support?

                • 20. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                  chucker23n Novice

                  TimG201110141 wrote:

                  And yet Parallels figured this out almost right away at USB 3.0's release

                   

                  Nobody is suggesting that VMware "can't figure this out". They made a decision, supported by Microsoft, and you happen not to like it.

                  • 21. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                    TimG201110141 Novice

                    chucker23n wrote:

                     

                    TimG201110141 wrote:

                    And yet Parallels figured this out almost right away at USB 3.0's release

                     

                    Nobody is suggesting that VMware "can't figure this out". They made a decision, supported by Microsoft, and you happen not to like it.

                    Damn right, and I'm going to voice it.. We've another 5 years with Windows 7..

                     

                    'Supported by microsoft?" no.. They just decided to USE the microsoft driver only. It's not like they had some deal with Microsoft. Microsoft itself didn't enter into it.. They just decided to be lazy and not put any effort into it; the easy path. As a professional grade application company, thats extremely disappointing.

                     

                    So yea, I'm voicing my discontent.. Thats called feedback and I'll continue to exercise it.. and I hope others here that need/use USB3 in Windows 7 do as well! Don't make this sound like it's not possible or that our opinions are not valid bud. They are and as long as Windows 7 is around over the next 5 years, this issue with USB 3 will continue to be a valid complaint..

                    • 22. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                      ErocMillsie Enthusiast

                      Couldn't have said it better Tim.  VMware is sticking it hard to OS X users.  I say this because my work computer running Windows 7 x64 and VMware Workstation 10 utilize USB 3.0 just fine.  It's basically like VMware said "F" you OS X users.  However, some moderating fanboys will tell you differently.  Ignorance!

                      • 23. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                        WoodyZ Guru

                        ErocMillsie wrote: I say this because my work computer running Windows 7 x64 and VMware Workstation 10 utilize USB 3.0 just fine.

                         

                        @mudaltsov, a very knowledgeable VMware employee, in this very thread (Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7) has said "Neither Fusion 6 nor Workstation 10 (or any earlier versions) support USB 3.0 in a Windows 7 guest." so are you saying he's misinformed about the state of USB 3.0 in VMware Workstation 10?

                        • 24. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                          ErocMillsie Enthusiast

                          I'm just saying that it works for me.  I'll be happy to make a video and illustrate as such.  Now he (mudulstove) may be a very knowledgable employee, but I'll also mention that I've been using VMware products of all varieties in an enterprise environment for over 10 years.  Like I said though I'll be happy to make a simple video.

                          • 25. Re: USB 3.0 and Windows 7
                            chucker23n Novice

                            From the knowledge base article mudaltsov linked:

                             

                            Windows 7 host OS or Windows XP host OS:

                             

                            On Windows 7 and Windows XP hosts, USB 3.0 support of Workstation in the guest operating system is experimental and limited to specific configurations of USB 3.0 hardware and drivers.


                            IOW, it may work, but there's no official support from either Microsoft or VMware.


                            In addition, you may be able to use the USB 3.0 device as a 2.0 device.

                            1 2 Previous Next