A customer of mine is experiencing problems when they are trying to add users to vCAC groups within their vCAC. They add the user to a AD security group with permissions (approval in this instance) but when the user logs in they cant see anything in their portal. It seems to be taking almost a week for the permissions to show up. When I do a check of the users permissions through the vCAC 5.2 portals "User Rights" section I get a response that no rights were found for the specified user and in the vCAC logs is the error "Access Denied (domain\user) Entity "EnterpriseAdminGroup" Inner Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation: Base Exception: Access Denied (domain\user) Entity "EnterpriseAdminGroup"
I have check the AZMAN store and the service account used for vCAC is in there.
If I look at the dbo.users table for the vCAC database the user is not showing although a user that wasn't working yesterday and wasn't showing in this table is now showing permissions in vCAC and is now the most recent entry in the dbo.users table
*UPDATE* I have ascertained that if I add the user to the enterprise admin group for the computer resources being made available via vCAC then the lookup works although the user still doesn't show in the dbo.user table. If I remove the user then the lookup fails and the error is given again in the logs.