I'm seeing exactly the same thing. Fresh download (MD5 verified) of the vCenter Appliance. Anyone have any ideas?
Edit: For what it's worth, I tried setting up an ESX "host" vm in Workstation, connecting to that "host" with the vSphere client, and importing the vCenter Appliance OVF. I started up the Appliance VM, ran the wizard, and experienced NO SSO problems. Everything worked fine.
So the question is, was the issue a problem with running the appliance on workstation, or maybe something to do with my network settings. I'm not sure. Seems odd that we'd experience this problem on workstation. This is the first instance of "really bizare" behavior I've seen with Workstation.
Granted I'm just using this as a "playing around" lab, so I'm not going to worry too much, but still, this is odd.
Same issue here. Running vCenter appliance in VM on Workstation 9.0.1 but not on a nested ESX. Any clues anyone?
Aborted the wizzard.
Have stopped some services (mainly vmware-vpxd and vmware-sso) by logging in through SSH:
service vmware-vpxd stop
After this, I could log in to the vcenter:5480 page again and test the vcenter database settings (which worked) and activate the embedded database for SSO as well.
Now I could start the vCenter services through the START button on the summary screen et voila: it works
I suspect the main problem here is not setting a FQDN under the IP settings. Once I set vcenter.mydomain.com I could complete the setup using the wizard and default settings.
Check NTP on ESXi host correct
Connect using browser
Cancel the setup wizard
System | Time Zone | Set Accordingly
Network | Address | Set static IPV4 | Set Auto IPV6 | Set DNS. Be sure to set a FQDN i.e. vcenter.mydomain.com
Reconnect to new IP
vCenter Server | Utilties | Setup Wizard
Select Configure with default settings.
Summary should have:
SSO Database: Embedded
AD Enabled: No
It also means the DB is down or not setup too.
I go the same same problem but still not able to get a vmware server appliance over vmware workstation 8.0 when deploying the wizzard I get
over database and sso field:
Failed to execute '/usr/sbin/vpxd_servicecfg sso write embedded embedded CENSORED CENSORED':
VC_CFG_RESULT=702(Error: An unexpected error ocurred during the installation of the appliance SSO service. Please collect a support bundle and file a service request.)
Failed to execute '/usr/sbin/vpxd_servicecfg service start':
VC_CFG_RESULT=101(Error: vCenter Server failed to start.)
I have tried above workaround but same behavior, that is, disabling over ssh the vmware-sso and vpxd service and using static address with FQDN ? Any other possible idea ?
On ESXi, a simple tweak to the /etc/hosts file of the appliance does the trick, for folks with the "VC_CFG_RESULT=702" error because they set a fixed IP and changed the hostname
I detailed this over here:
Perhaps it'd work for your 5.1? Also check also that your settings for the appliance VM have clock sync via VMware Tools set.
(I realize this post is rather old)
Just downloaded and ran the 5.5u2 Appliance and got the exact same result... many year and versions later. I'm a VMware Veteran... and am kinda annoyed that VMware is not addressing "out of box experience" items like this. Yes... I want you to get away from the MS dependent solution.... however... I do not want the install experience of setting up a Java/WebSphere/Oracle/n-tier solution. Everything has to have a default vanilla install option. The holly grail of next, next, next, finish, play. More complicated integrations and architectures need to be handled as "custom install" and developed/released second.
I Had a similar issue whist running the wizard. I exited from wizard and went to "network" tab and appended the DNS suffix on to the hostname. re ran the wizard and it worked. I would ensure you have full DNS resolution too.