Hi, there is no way to change the default timeout from the UI. Right now the only way to change/remove it is this:
On the UI VM, edit /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml and adjust the value for session-timeout parameter. Minus one (-1) results in an infinite timeout - the session will not expire at all.
Restart the Apache Tomcat web server by entering the command "service vcopsweb restart".
1 person found this helpful
This will be added to the Release Notes soon. Here is the "official" writeup:
Summary: Changing the default session timeout for vCenter Operations Manager
The default session timeout value for vCenter Operations Manager is 30 minutes. For monitoring purposes, you might want to change this default. For example, you might want the session never to expire, in which case you would set an infinite timeout.
How you change the default timeout value differs for the vSphere and the Custom user interfaces (UIs).
To change the default timeout in the vSphere UI in the vApp:
1. On the UI VM, edit /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml and adjust the value for session-timeout parameter. Minus one (-1) results in an infinite timeout--the session will not expire at all.
2. Restart the Apache Tomcat web server by entering the command: service vcopsweb restart
For the Custom UI, both the vApp and Enterprise Standalone versions have built-in auto-transition and auto-refresh features to keep the session logged in. Go to any widget and edit it with the gear button for automatic refresh, or go to dashboard options for auto-transition settings.
After you edit /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat/webapps/vcops-vsphere/WEB-INF/web.xml
How do you exit and save changes..?
You should be able to save and close the file in whatever editor you are using. Does this answer your question?
Thank you for your Email. I am currently out of the office till Tuesday 28th August.
Please contact the H.I.S Service Desk on extension 1234 option 2.
Harrods Information Systems
Client Services Team Leader
Disclaimer: Harrods Limited, Registered in London. Company Number 30209. Registered Office: 87-135 Brompton Road, Knightsbridge, London. SW1X 7XL. This message has been sent via the Internet. Internet communications are not secure against interception or modification. Harrods Ltd therefore can not guarantee that this message has not been modified in transit. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and destroy your copies of the message and any attached files.
I ran through the steps for editing the web.xml file and it appears to have completely hosed my Ops Manager setup.
I set the timeout to "-1". Running the 'service vcopsweb restart' command successfully stopped the service however it then got stuck waiting for the service to restart. I tried rebooting the VMs to no avail. I now get a nice 404 when I try to load the vcops-vsphere webpage.
I set the timeout back to 30 but that did not fix the issue.
UPDATE: There was malformed XML. I was able to correct that and then get Ops Manager working again. No issue with the steps above.
Just a hunch but check and see if you have free disk space on the /data partition? Run df -h on the console of both VMs.
Thanks for the idea jddias. I checked on both VMs and they are at 3% used and 6% used for the /data drive. So plenty of free space.
I've had vcops 5 running for only about 2 weeks so its a fairly new environment.
If there are any other ideas I'm all ears. Else I fear I'll have to blow this away and do a fresh install of vcops.
I'd say you have malformed the XML of that file when editing or saving... You should be able to copy in the original file... I can get it for you later if you want.
It would be awesome if you can get me the original web.xml file. I would definitely like to try swapping that in.
I pulled down the XML and ran it through a validator. There was in fact a malformed tag about 50 lines up from the change I made to the timeout setting. No idea how I managed to do that but it's back in working order now!
Thanks for the help guys!