If machine01 and machine02 are using the same DNS, then that's probably not your root cause. Does vcenter01 resolve from machine01 using nslookup? Also, do you have any firewalls either on machine01 or another physical device blocking 8084?
Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
No machine01 and machine02 does not use the DNS server.
But from machine01.distant.com I can resolve vcenter01.example.com and can not resolve vcenter01.
From machine02.example.com I can resolve both short and full name.
No firewall blcoking.
Go to VUM-Configuration-Settings-Network Connectivity and see IP address or host name for the patch store field. Try to use IP instead of host name may help.
Already done that.
I may have found a solution, I wil test it next week when Iget back to work and give you a feedback.
It seems this variable is stored in the database , table dbo.VPX_EXT_CLIENT and dbo.VPX_EXT_SERVER.
The rows to be modified are those with EXT_ID = com.vmware.vcIntegrity (more information on this kb http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1024795)
I didn't try this solution proposed by VMware Support. I made the work around of adding the DNS suffixes in all the search domains.
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I thought others might benefit from the solution I have found. For some reason Update manager assumes we are all on the same network and doesn't use fully qualified domain names (FQDN). For our company this causes havoc and makes it impossible to access VCenter over our VPN. To get the Update Manager to use FQDNs I did the following:
1) Stop VMWare Update manager service
2) Edit the file C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\extension.xml
Changed the url entries to reflect the FQDN
3) Opened the VCenter database (not the Update Manager database)
Altered the url entries in the following tables: VPX_EXT, VPX_EXT_CLIENT, and VPX_EXT_SERVER
4) Restarted the vcenter server (not sure if this is needed but I did it)
So far this has worked for us.
When we did our inital install of VCenter our server did not have the "Primary DNS suffix" set as it did not belong to a domain. On a later install we manually defined the DNS Suffix causing Windows to report the FQDN in the "Full computer name" variable. This has caused update manager to use the FQDN for all URLs.