Welcome to the Community,
there are some known issues which can prevent VMware Player from installing.
- run the installation from an empty folder (only the installation package should be there)
- make sure your AV does not block js-Code (this is needed to display the installation screen)
- make sure there are no processes running like webcam.exe or fixcamera.exe
- run the installation package from the command line by adding /z "action"="install"
- run the installation using "run as..." Administrator (e.g. in Vista)
I've tried all of that including killing all processes that involve webcams. Anti-virus is turned off. This is really pissing me off....
I am receiving the same blank screen on installation. I'm running windows 7 32bit. Is MS preventing competition from installing there programs?
I am writing a howto - please read
Don't miss the steps listed as required after a first failed attempt.
I have the same problem trying to install VMware Player on a Windows 7 64-bit pc. I installed the player on another computer(also Windows 7 64-bit) and it worked fine. The only difference I could see was that SP1 was installed on the first computer that didn't work. If you have the Service Pack 1 installed on your machine try removing it and installing again. Also, I know that Internet Explorer 9 beta creates some issues with programs not working. Remove that also if you have it. I hope this works for you.
I will try to remove these things from the first computer. Ill let you know if it works or not.
I just spent hours figuring a workaround to this issue. Completely insane...
Here is what I did:
If you have another version already installed you must uninstall it like this:
- Go to C:\Windows\Installer
- Add the "Authors" column and sort by it
- One of the .msi files with have a "VMware" author
- Double-click it and follow through with the uninstall steps
Then to install the new version you must extract the installer:
- Run cmd.exe as administrator with any method... (e.g. type cmd into the search box at the bottom of the start menu and when it shows up right-click on it and select: Run as administrator)
- Type in "cd the-directory-where-the-install-file-is" then hit enter (e.g. c:\users\bob\downloads\)
- Type "the-name-of-the-install-file.exe /e tempfolder"
- Give it a few minutes or so to finish..
- Go to that new folder (e.g. c:\users\bob\downloads\tempfolder\) and find the .msi file (for VMware Workstation it's named "vmware workstation.msi"), and run it
This worked for me. Good luck.
Nice work. Extracting the files from the .exe and running the .msi worked perfectly. Thanks. I still don't understand what was the problem. Why didn't the .exe file run correctly?
I don't know exactly. My current bet though is, that because the error is jscript.dll - which vmware uses in the .exe installation/update, either microsoft updated a necessary file (i.e. jscript.dll itself or some other related dependency) or some other company did. (Reregistering the dlls didn't help so I tried uninstalling IE9, reverting to the old jscript.dll and that didn't help. I also thought maybe Google Chrome Frame, but uninstalling that didn't help either...) I hope VMware gets on top of it sometime soon. I don't want to have to do this every time there is an update...
Thanks man! I did what you did and it worked!
That worked thank you
I had the same problem on my Windows 7 machine. During the VMWare Workstation 7 installation the window kept being blank without any information or options except the title in the titlebar.
That's when I found this thread and the suggested workaround. The workaround worked, but still I was not statisfied, because I knew that the installer worked earlier, when I installed VMWare for the first time. So I dug a little deeper and found the root problem for this issue.
>>> (Start > Run > regedit.exe)
and search the entry
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\
There you should have some folders 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4. In my case I had a folder named "L" before the 0.
If you have this, delete the "L" Folder and restart your System.
Afterwards the installer should work again like it's supposed to be.
Hope that helps.
Great find. I speculate L stands for the "Local" zone.
I can't believe VMware or Microsoft haven't done anything offical yet.
First8 is right and this works, except it's not "L" letter but "└" (unicode #2514 iirc) symbol