Many thanks to . I racked my brain on this all day. Removed and re-added the node, manually deleted the RPMs for VC, and was just about ready to rebuild it when I found this post. I checked the hosts file entry and discovered that the short name for this host had a typo in it. After correcting the typo reconfigure for HA worked.
I am running VC 2.5 Update 4 and had this happen to me. Removing node from cluster and readding finally fixed it for me.
I tried rebooting the faulty node, putting it into maintenance mode and taking it back out. None of that worked. Disabling HA for the cluster then re-enabling is what worked. Running ESXi4, no DNS, no command line. Individual hosts do have static IPs and FQDN configured properly. I may stick a DNS server on the vCenter host and see if adding that to each ESX host config would help avoid this problem in the future.
Same problem -- 2 working hosts, adding a third gave this error.
Tried maintenance mode, restart but it didn't help. Disabled DRS and HA, then Enabling DRS and HA in that order and it worked.
I am having this same exact problem and not one of the solutions is working for me. The only one I didn't try was reloading ESXi on the server giving me a problem. I'm going to start that now
An old post, but i'm sure others may still experience the issue as I did.
What worked for me was to set the FT vmkernel on it's own subnet, separate from the others, then reconfigure HA.
And this article light the bulb over my head.