7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2009 9:15 AM by mikelane

    ESX 4.0 Early Adopters

    RParker Guru

      Well I download ESX 4.0.  I am trying ESXi.  ESX 2.5, ESX 3.5, and NOW ESX 4.0 all have the same continuing problem, ESXi and 2.5 will not eject the disk post install.  Why is that?  Why does one product eject and the other does not.  Are they made by different people?  What's the deal.

       

      That's the first problem.  And yes it is a problem for remote users that need to install remotely.

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

      I install the VI Client for ESX 4.0.  I get some error about a 'clients.xml' file not initialized.  I just installed a fresh clean, error free ESXi 4.0 on a brand new machine, starting from scratch.

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

      So far I can't even get past the welcome screen, so all I can say is ESX shows errors much quicker now, I am soooo glad they used 64-bit for this.  Otherwise, this isn't a good start.

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

      So what other fun loving, error messages have you seen, because I am 2 for 2.

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

      http://s254920738.onlinehome.us/resources/VMW_Q109_LGO_vExpert_k.jpg

        • 1. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
          Scissor Virtuoso User Moderators
          RParker wrote:

          Well I download ESX 4.0.  I am trying ESXi.  ESX 2.5, ESX 3.5, and NOW ESX 4.0 all have the same continuing problem, ESXi and 2.5 will not eject the disk post install.  Why is that?  Why does one product eject and the other does not.  Are they made by different people?  What's the deal.

           

          That's the first problem.  And yes it is a problem for remote users that need to install remotely.

           

           

          When I booted my installer CD I seem to remember that the ESXi4 installer has a 10 second timeout where it will default to booting off the Hard Drive.  I am not near my server to test it, but would assume that if you left the CD in the drive it wouldn't cause a problem as long as you let the 10 second timeout expire? 

           

          Not sure if ESX4 installer has different behavior.

           

           

          I install the VI Client for ESX 4.0.  I get some error about a 'clients.xml' file not initialized.  I just installed a fresh clean, error free ESXi 4.0 on a brand new machine, starting from scratch.

           

           

          Are you running Windows7?  I got the same error -- guess the VI Client doesn't work under Win7 yet.  Works inside a XP Guest though. More info here:  http://communities.vmware.com/message/1258203

          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
            chrisinparis Lurker

            New to ESXi.  4.0 installed without a hitch.  I'm on a Mac, but the VI client installed and works fine in a WinXP VM (running in VMWare Fusion).

            • 3. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
              weinstein5 Guru User Moderators vExpert

              Sorry to hear you are having issues - I have worked with two vSphere depoloyments and they went without a hitch - the one thing to be aware of is that HCL has tightened up with vSphere like it did with VI-3 - not every machine that ran VI-3 is supported under vSphere -

               

               

               

               

              If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

              • 4. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
                Formatter Hot Shot

                 

                I installed it on my white box by upgrade route. I did this to see what new and so on prior to doing my T610.

                 

                 

                I did have to upgrade twice for it all to take but I put that down to it being a white box but it is all up now and I am testing.

                 

                 

                • 5. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
                  mikelane Expert

                   

                  weinstein5 wrote:

                  Sorry to hear you are having issues - I have worked with two vSphere depoloyments and they went without a hitch - the one thing to be aware of is that HCL has tightened up with vSphere like it did with VI-3 - not every machine that ran VI-3 is supported under vSphere -

                   

                   

                   

                   

                  If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

                   

                  I don't know how worried I should be about that. as my hardware was not official for ESXi 3.5 to begin with. Do you have a sense of which areas have tightened up?

                   

                   

                  ASRock ALIVENF6G-VSTA AM2 NVidia 6100 Motherboard 1

                  AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2

                  Intel Pro MT 1000 NIC 3

                  PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card 5

                   

                  5

                   

                   

                  • 6. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
                    weinstein5 Guru User Moderators vExpert

                    I know some of the early DL 585 were not on the list -

                     

                     

                     

                     

                    If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

                    • 7. Re: ESX 4.0 Early Adopters
                      mikelane Expert

                       

                      mikelane wrote:

                       

                      ASRock ALIVENF6G-VSTA AM2 NVidia 6100 Motherboard 1

                      AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2

                      Intel Pro MT 1000 NIC 3

                      PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card 5

                       

                       

                       

                       

                       

                       

                      vSphere installed fine! I am just converting my VMs back - and creating my first thin disk to boot!

                       

                       

                      I am so happy that I don't have to invest in more hardware!