If you've been managing a virtual environment for any period of time you've probably received an email requesting that you clone a long list of VMs prior to an upgrade. I have received this request a variety of times and decided this needed to be automated.
The function performs the following tasks:
- Clones each VM with suffix "clone-"
- Places the cloned VM in the same folder as the original to maintain permissions for application owners.
- Assigns clone to random host within the cluster. This was done in case the clones needed to be started up on a cluster where DRS is not enabled or available.
- Sets clone to Thin provisioned disks
- Works for live and cold clones
- Runs Asynchronously so it will initiate multiple clones simultaneously
- Ability to set parameters if you wish to target the clones to a different folder, datastore, or Thick disk.
I've used this function several times and has saved me a ton of time. Hope it helps you as well.